vs. NATIONALS, 8/04

OFFNY

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>How are the Nationals allowed to reschedule a night game,then have the O's get to their Toronto hotel @ 5 am. Injuries, fatigue...bad sked</p>? Peter Gammons (@pgammo) <a href="
">August 4, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Well, there are several factors here why I think Gammons is stirring up something out of nothing.

For starters, the Orioles just had a 6-game homestand, and yesterday's game was an afternoon game. They had plenty of time to rest, sleep in, etc. to be prepared for tonight's game.

Secondly, this game against the Nationals is essentially a home game (geographically) for the Orioles. It's not like they have to go from Baltimore to Kansas City for one make-up game, and then turn around and immediately go to Toronto.

Finally, I don't know why Gammons is presuming that the Orioles will get to their hotel rooms in Toronto at 5 A.M., unless I'm missing something. If tonight's game doesn't go into extra innings and/or have a rain delay, the game should be over sometime between 9:30 P.M. and 10:00 P.M. If Buck felt it necessary, he could either skip or cut short the press conference (his team's well-being and preparedness for the upcoming game is a priority), and have his players shower and be ready to take a bus to the airport at about 10:45 or 11:00 P.M. If the plane leaves Washington at 11:30 or 11:45 P.M., it should land in Toronto no later than 1:30 A.M. They should be able to unpack their luggage and be at the hotel at about 2:30 A.M., 3:00 A.M. the latest ...... a far cry from Gammons "5:00 A.M." assertion.

Also, tomorrow's game is not a day game, it's a night game, so Buck could have his players sleep in until the early afternoon if necessary.

Archived