vs. CARDINALS, 8/10

OFFNY

I'm fine with whatever route doesn't hinder Gausman's ability to develop a breaking ball.

Yes, i think the idea that Gausman is not going to have the wide ups and downs of a rookie, no matter the talent, has been just wishful thinking. Gausman must have some kind of third pitch or he is going to continue to have problems when his command is even a little off.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oo

The Cardinals did us TWO favors in that one plate appearance just now.

First of all, with Gausman nearing 40 pitches and having walked the previous batter, Taveras swung at the 0-1 pitch. Instead of a 2-0 count and EVEN MORE pressure on Gausman than he already had, it was a 1-1 count. Huge break.

Then there was the obvious one, on the double play just now. The Cards already had 2 runs in, Gausman was at almost 40 pitches, and they tried to score on a shallow fly ball.

At the very least, if they had played it conservative and not tested Jones' arm, Gausman would have had to throw at least a few more pitches (which would have brought him to well over 40) to get an additional out.

Yes, i think the idea that Gausman is not going to have the wide ups and downs of a rookie, no matter the talent, has been just wishful thinking. Gausman must have some kind of third pitch or he is going to continue to have problems when his command is even a little off.

He has plenty of pitches. He needs to command them.

Archived