Chris Davis tested positive for amphetamines. (25 Game Ban)

OriolesManiac88

Why did he do it?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Why did he do it?

• ADHD
    • Performance

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Orioles are 72-55 this season when Chris Davis plays. They're a whopping 14-4 (.778) when he sits.</p>— ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) <a href="
">September 12, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Davis was out in late April/early May, when Manny and Wieters were still healthy.

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>This is Davis' 2nd positive test, which is why there's 25-game suspension</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="
">September 12, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'm not going to blast him because I've always thought highly of him as an Oriole and this doesn't erase his contributions. But the second offense thing does eliminate the sympathy I might otherwise have for him. I do hope he can turn the page in 2015 and have a great season. But the book on his 2014 is closed….time to move on.

The reason, I believe, someone like Davis takes Adderall is to be able to work out even harder despite the rigors of the baseball season. To me that is performance enhancing.

What? I went through grad school without it...I didn't know any other students taking it

But if he can't focus because he has a genuinely diagnosed disorder...

See that is the issue here. Say Davis is one of the people that have genuine ADHD. Working with students I see undiagnosed stuff all the time and the ADD kids simply can't focus. Not that they are hyper or bad, but it as is the channel keeps changing in their head all the time.

Just what if, Davis genuinely has that issue? So yes, the drug did help him focus at the plate - but also in every other aspect of his life as well?

This of course is a hypothetical as we don't know the whole story. But that is pretty much the only situation that doesn't make Davis into someone trying to get over on the league.

My guess is if he genuinely has ADHD he wouldn't have been denied. Plenty of players are allowed it.

I hate to be a special kind of jerk about this, but maybe it's a positive?

I mean, his homers have been big but we are talking about a .190 hitter here. With our other power guys, replacing him with an OBP type might not be a bad trade at this point.

What OBP type? There are only a handful of corner infielder the O's can call on. Flaherty is exactly the opposite of an OBP guy. Over the last four years Kelly Johnson's OBP is about the same as Davis' this year. Paredes' MLB OBP is on par with Flaherty.

It's a pretty ugly situation. If someone has a magic healing spell, now's the time to go find Manny.

Two of my kids have ADHD and take (or have taken) Adderall. It really helped them a lot with their ability to stay focused and on task. I suspect I'd be diagnosed with ADHD myself if I was ever tested, but they never did that when I was a kid.

As to Davis, last year he used Adderall within the rules and posted a 1.004 OPS. This year they took it away from him and he posted a .704 OPS. You have to be concerned that he really cannot perform well without it. Maybe he got desperate sometime in the last month or two and started taking it again.

This seams the most logical thing regarding his use. He was continuing to use it even when he knew he wasn't supposed to. This was the second time he tested positive. Although, we don't know when that first positive test happened, I'd assume this year. However, I'd be curious to know, although I suppose it's none of my business, how long he had the exemption prior to this year.

I kinda like the fact that MLB took away the exemption after what he did last season. Assuming of course that he doesn't really need it for any legit medical reason.

Archived