Happy Birthday, "Fruit Loops" Tettleton

OFFNY

o

I remember Tettelton toiling away as the catcher for the Orioles, who started the season with an all-time American League record 21 straight losses, and finished with a record of 54-107 with one rain-out.

Tettelton clouts 26 home runs in only 117 games, as the 1989 Orioles have an amazing turnaround from the previous season. The Birdies go 87-75, and don't get eliminated from the division title until the next-to-the-last day of the season at Toronto's brand-new SkyDome.

The Orioles' power-hitting catcher becomes known for eating Fruit Loops, after being asked by a reporter what he eats for breakfast.

Although Tettleton (as an individual) and the Orioles (as a team) both have a decline from the amazing 1989 season, Mickey swats a 2-run home run in the top of the 8th inning against the Yankees to break a 2-2 tie on June 3rd. The home run turns out to be the game-winner, as the Orioles hang on to win by a score of 4-3 (and YES, I do remember that specific game, which is why I am noting it.)

Tettleton gets traded to the Detroit Tigers for Jeff Robinson.

o

Tettleton hits a monster shot onto Eutaw Street in the inaugural season at OPACY. 406', was the first HR on Eutaw Street.

(and in searching to confirm this was the first, I found this gem: Eutaw Street HRs Soooooo freaking cool!!!)

That was cool. I wish more of them were Oriole home runs, though! Multiple shots from Palmeiro, Gibbons, Luke Scott, and Chris Davis, which I'd expect. Delino DeShields made it out there once! Nice to see Eddie Murray got there on his second tenure with the club. Absolutely do not remember Kevin Bass as an Oriole.

• 1 year later...
o

I remember Tettelton toiling away as the catcher for the Orioles, who started the season with an all-time American League record 21 straight losses, and finished with a record of 54-107 with one rain-out.

Tettelton clouts 26 home runs in only 117 games, as the 1989 Orioles have an amazing turnaround from the previous season. The Birdies go 87-75, and don't get eliminated from the division title until the next-to-the-last day of the season at Toronto's brand-new SkyDome.

The Orioles' power-hitting catcher becomes known for eating Fruit Loops, after being asked by a reporter what he eats for breakfast.

Although Tettleton (as an individual) and the Orioles (as a team) both have a decline from the amazing 1989 season, Mickey swats a 2-run home run in the top of the 8th inning against the Yankees to break a 2-2 tie on June 3rd. The home run turns out to be the game-winner, as the Orioles hang on to win by a score of 4-3 (and YES, I do remember that specific game, which is why I am noting it.)

Happy birthday, Mickey.

Didn't Tom Davis precipitate that Fruit Loops nickname, somehow finding out that Tettleton liked Fruit Loops and then coming up with boxes of cereal as he wandered the stands reading the out-of-town scores and stealing food from fans? That really was Davis' wheelhouse. He needs to go back to doing that. Also, the Tettleton-for-Robinson trade is among the five worst in team history. Amazing the Orioles were semi-competitive in the early 90s despite the Tettleton and Glenn Davis deals happening in short order.

Didn't Tom Davis precipitate that Fruit Loops nickname, somehow finding out that Tettleton liked Fruit Loops and then coming up with boxes of cereal as he wandered the stands reading the out-of-town scores and stealing food from fans? That really was Davis' wheelhouse. He needs to go back to doing that. Also, the Tettleton-for-Robinson trade is among the five worst in team history. Amazing the Orioles were semi-competitive in the early 90s despite the Tettleton and Glenn Davis deals happening in short order.

I thought it was Tom Davis too.

But, according to wiki, the source, is Richard Justice, a beat reporter for the post:

http://articles.latimes.com/1990-03-25/sports/sp-433_1_baltimore-orioles

PS. This was back in the day of no Nationals, and the Post did a much better job of covering the local baseball team, then the Sun. Again, just my own opinion.

• 11 months later...
oo

o

Happy birthday again, Mickey.

o

oo

o

Happy birthday again, Mickey.

o

o

Great win on Mickey's birthday last night.) :cool:

Archived