You know what really grinds my gears?

Pedro Cerrano

You wouldn't have counted on them losing to VaTech and Duke is a better team and have a little bit more of a home court advantage.

UNC is obviously better and more talented though.

Agreed on all points. Also, we won in Duke last year and K wont let his guys forget that.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That doesn't make it right. Actually, the Terps were recipients of favorable calls in the ACC, against Virginia a few years back there were several bad calls. I was glad we won the game, but I don't like it, officiating is supposed to be fair. It clearly isn't in Cameron.

I agree but it is reality.

I agree but it is reality.

This statement I have a problem with.

Not that it's your opinion, but that it is AN opinion.

The whole point of having officiating in any sport is to make it as fair and balanced as possible. When one becomes willing to rationalize the failure of the officials as being a "reality", the integrity of the sport is called into question.

The goal should be perfect officiating. Even knowing that officials are human, and I do think SOME leeway should be given because of it, achieving perfection should be the goal.

One thing that was mentioned on one of the shouting-head shows was that officials cannot review the tape to see when the clock should have started, but only when it should have stopped.

This, if true, does change my opinion of the call, but also just redirects my anger towards the ACC/NCAA rulemakers, for asinine replay rules.

I will say one thing as an official-hating Maryland fan: I get mad at ALL bad calls, even those in the favor of the Terps/Ravens/Orioles. I specifically remember almost having an aneurysm watching a game involving the Yankees (not against the Orioles) where Jorge Posada struck out looking on a pitch literally twelve inches off the plate.

And for the record, Duke sucks ;)

I love how people get on Duke and Coach K becomes refs are intimidated by him(if that is even true).

How is that his fault? He does his job. Is he abrasive? Sure...He learned from Bobby Knight and is an Army guy. That is who he is.

And i will tell you what, i wouldn't want any other coach from any other sport coaching my team.

I love how people get on Duke and Coach K becomes refs are intimidated by him(if that is even true).

How is that his fault? He does his job. Is he abrasive? Sure...He learned from Bobby Knight and is an Army guy. That is who he is.

And i will tell you what, i wouldn't want any other coach from any other sport coaching my team.

I just love trotting out this quote:

"I want to tell you something, you cannot allow people to go around pointing at officials and yelling at them without technicals being called. That is just not allowed. So let's get some things straight around here and quit the double standard that exists in this league, all right?" - Mike Krzyzewski, Jan. 21, 1984.

The man has learned what he needs to do over the years...Not sure there is anything wrong with that.

So he learned that to be a successful coach, he needs to get in the refs' faces and point and yell? Interesting theory of coaching. In any case, it's a little hypocritical though, don't you think?

And you will always point things out when it goes against you. That is human nature.

Wait...OK so let me get this straight. It's OK for Coach K to get in the refs' faces because that's just pointing out the things that are going against his team in an effort to help them. But when non-Duke fans point out legitimately bad calls, it's "typical Terps fans...have you ever lost a game where you just didn't play as well?" I can honestly say that I can't recall any posts where I or any other Maryland fan said "Man, we would have won that game if the refs hadn't done X." Sure, there's plenty of moaning about bad calls...sometimes we're wrong and sometimes it's not. But I think you're the one applying the double standard now.

So he learned that to be a successful coach, he needs to get in the refs' faces and point and yell? Interesting theory of coaching. In any case, it's a little hypocritical though, don't you think?

Nothing to do with being a successful coach. It is about doing what you can do to help the team win. There is a difference.

Wait...OK so let me get this straight. It's OK for Coach K to get in the refs' faces because that's just pointing out the things that are going against his team in an effort to help them. But when non-Duke fans point out legitimately bad calls, it's "typical Terps fans...have you ever lost a game where you just didn't play as well?" I can honestly say that I can't recall any posts where I or any other Maryland fan said "Man, we would have won that game if the refs hadn't done X." Sure, there's plenty of moaning about bad calls...sometimes we're wrong and sometimes it's not. But I think you're the one applying the double standard now.

It is K's job, as a coach, to work the officials and stand up for his players..Every coach does that, including Gary.

Nothing to do with being a successful coach. It is about doing what you can do to help the team win. There is a difference.

It is K's job, as a coach, to work the officials and stand up for his players..Every coach does that, including Gary.

Coach K has become everything he used to say he despised, and that's the bottom line. Busta's quote was a perfect indication as to what he's become.

"I want to tell you something, you cannot allow people to go around pointing at officials and yelling at them without technicals being called. That is just not allowed. So let's get some things straight around here and quit the double standard that exists in this league, all right?" - Mike Krzyzewski, Jan. 21, 1984.

He's a man of principal and an educator.

:SuN003:

Coach K has become everything he used to say he despised, and that's the bottom line. Busta's quote was a perfect indication as to what he's become.

He also learned what it takes to be successful and help his team win.

He had not been a head coach at Duke that long in 1984.

I would be willing to bet you can go back and find quotes from many young coaches and see a difference in the way they are 25-30 years later.

He also learned what it takes to be successful and help his team win.

He had not been a head coach at Duke that long in 1984.

I would be willing to bet you can go back and find quotes from many young coaches and see a difference in the way they are 25-30 years later.

That's true, he was the underdog back then and for all my hatred of him and the program, even a Tarheel like me cant deny his success. However, he accused Dean Smith and the Tarheel program of being that double standard that now he and his program completely benefit from. Hypocritical to say the least.

Beaner, no Wright or Ginyard today.

Did I mention yet that I hate the fact that this game even exists. That being said, I like the way we're playing this far (up 9 late first half).

See, look at this Marcus Williams just got hurt for Arizona....No reason to play this game...Not that he couldn't have gotten hurt playing a PAC 10 game, but you see the point.

Archived