You know what really grinds my gears?

Pedro Cerrano

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can't compete with the Carolina/Duke rivalry. Even when one team is really bad, they seem to play each other well. Wasn't the Carolina game the only ACC game Duke won in that 95 season when Coach K has his....ahem...."back troubles?" Sorry to bring that one up beaner, you know I love Carolina and root for them unless it hurts the Terps for me to do so.

Funny thing though...my father, who went to UNC in the early 80s and was there for their first National Championship, also grew up on the campus of Wake Forest. So he is pretty intimately familiar with ACC basketball, especially in the state of North Carolina. According to him, if you ask any Carolina fan over 30, they'd say that their biggest rival is State, not Duke. One of these days, I'm going to find a rivalry where both sides acknowledge that it is, in fact, a rivalry ;)

We won that game, in double overtime, it was unreal. Your Dad is right, I am a Duke hater more so than State but many of the locals hate State just as much if not more. State was great in the 70s, which was before my time, but i know there are folks down there that feel that way.

Who does your Father disike more?

I don't personally know any OSU or Michigan fans, but I wouldn't doubt that this is one. Red Sox/Yankees is becoming more of one...Yankee fans I know seem to "hate" the Red Sox a lot more since 2004. Maybe Dodgers/Giants...I dunno if that really has any steam anymore.

I think you can find plenty in college football, although some have a couple big rivalries, I'm not sure if your looking for teams who only consider one team to be their rival or not. Alabama-Auburn, USC-Notre Dame, USC-UCLA, FSU-UF, FSU-Miami, Army-Navy, etc.

25 in two weeks. My age doesn't change the fact that MWeb is right. The rivalry lost some of its luster a few years back when UNC was the suck.

I never disputed that Duke won a lot a few years ago, it didn't diminish the rivalry much. I asked because of your opinion that MAryland fans have hated Duke for so long. There wasn't this hatred before 2000, that's all I'm saying.

Happy early birthday by the way.

We won that game, in double overtime, it was unreal. Your Dad is right, I am a Duke hater more so than State but many of the locals hate State just as much if not more. State was great in the 70s, which was before my time, but i know there are folks down there that feel that way.

So one of the stronger points of your argument rests on the locality between Dook and UNC yet many of the LOCALS who live within that area hate NC State more than Dook?

Doesn't seem to help your argument.

Again, I think that Yanks/Sox is #1 but I can see arguments made for UNC/Dook. What I can't see, however, is someone saying that UNC/Dook is the best rivalry and that nothing else even comes close because that's simply not true.

Off topic, Rob I am asking you now to please not gloat when Arizona beats Carolina tomorrow. I can't understand for the life of me why we are going across the country for this game 11 days before Duke. I just don't get it. So please for my sake, enjoy Arizona's win quietly. ;)

I cannot believe you actually posted this!!! Seth, I might have to negative rep you for this! What absolute crap! Where's the faith in this team?!?!

Without Wright and Ginyard (that would be their #2 scorer and rebounder and their #1 defender). we handed 'zona their worst home loss in 24 years!

28-point win, 6 guys in double figures, held the #10 Cats (way overrated) to 33% shooting, including 1-23 from 3-point range, and all that despite being called for 11 more fouls than the home team.

Going way back to the dook never plays good teams on the road thread... this is what Carolina basketball is all about. We shy away from no one, we go to their home court, and we pound them.

Let's see dook do that once in... EVER.

And isn't this two years in a row now that the ACC has had to intervene to admit a mistake in a dook game that benefitted dook directly into a win?! Weren't there officials last year who got suspended because of a non-call that favored dook? Why is it that dook always seems to get the benefit of these bogus calls?

I guess I'm the other person your asking, I'm 26.

I didn't mean aything by it, I think TTF took it as in insult, which wasn't my intention at all. I was just saying in terms of the Maryland-Duke thing I was thinking maybe you guys weren't thinking about before 1999. It was a small rivalry but no more than Maryland-UNC.

Ahh you're right. I think I'm getting my Capels mixed up ;).

Dad definitely hates State more. Might have something to do with his Wake Forest upbringing, where Duke was never as big a rival. He's definitely a Carolina fan first, now, with Maryland #2 and Wake as a solid #3.

Living in Maryland for 25 years now has probably softened his anti-State bias and gotten a little more anti-Duke, as the rivals up here were definitely Carolina and now Duke (the Carolina part is a little weird, I think, since State and Maryland had so many great games in the 70s). But if Duke and State were playing for the ACC Tournament title, he'd probably go with Duke.

However, one thing he has instilled in me is to always root for the conference if all else is equal. So when Duke has been in the NCAA Title games recently, he would root for them. And he still loves talking about State's 1983 run. So let me pose that question. If Duke or State (or UNC for SG) were in the NCAA title game, opposing a team from a different conference, would you root for them or against them?

I cannot believe you actually posted this!!! Seth, I might have to negative rep you for this! What absolute crap! Where's the faith in this team?!?!

Without Wright and Ginyard (that would be their #2 scorer and rebounder and their #1 defender). we handed 'zona their worst home loss in 24 years!

28-point win, 6 guys in double figures, held the #10 Cats (way overrated) to 33% shooting, including 1-23 from 3-point range, and all that despite being called for 11 more fouls than the home team.

Going way back to the dook never plays good teams on the road thread... this is what Carolina basketball is all about. We shy away from no one, we go to their home court, and we pound them.

Let's see dook do that once in... EVER.

And isn't this two years in a row now that the ACC has had to intervene to admit a mistake in a dook game that benefitted dook directly into a win?! Weren't there officials last year who got suspended because of a non-call that favored dook? Why is it that dook always seems to get the benefit of these bogus calls?

Ummm, sorry. There's nothing I can say other than that. I just felt is was a mistake to schedule that game 11 days before Duke. I'm glad we won, and so easily.

I didn't mean aything by it, I think TTF took it as in insult, which wasn't my intention at all. I was just saying in terms of the Maryland-Duke thing I was thinking maybe you guys weren't thinking about before 1999. It was a small rivalry but no more than Maryland-UNC.

No I did not take it as an insult at all but I saw what you were driving at. I'm aware of the history between the two teams and I certainly respect all that the rivalry has meant not only to the ACC (making it the premier basketball conference in basketball) but the sport itself.

I think a lot of it has to do with rivalries being somewhat cyclical. They are always there, but some years they are stronger than others. Yanks/Red Sox was non-existent from 1978 to about the late 90s in terms of the rivalry having importance for THAT YEAR (i.e. the games meant something in terms of success that season) but it was still a rivalry. UNC and Dook wasn't as big a few years back when UNC wasn't great. Now, it appears UNC and Dook are both set to be very good the next few years so you may see a resurgance in how people view that rivalry.

I guess this is part of the reason why it is hard to gauge what rivalry is THE BEST in sports. Most of it is opinion in terms of what teams and sports you enjoy and I think most people that are unbiased would tend to vote for whichever rivalry is "hot" at the time (like Yanks/Sox in three ALCS's in six years or OSU playing Michigan this year #1 vs. #2).

I'm never claimed MD-Duke was much of a rivalry before '99, but MD fans did hate Duke in the 90's.

Archived