Orioles Discussing Four-Year Deal With Nick Markakis (Signs w/ATL)

Greg

I like that. Ok is Nick going to be worth 10 in four years?

This is baseball. If you do not have at least one or two guys on your roster who might not be worth what they will be paid in the last year then your the Marlins. Well until they sign Stanton that is.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1/17.5 < 4/50 (that is the highest figure I have seen) or 4/42 for that matter.

I wonder if any of these numbers we're seeing include the 2 mil buyout? I'm gessing they don't and that is separate. According to Frobby Nick had a mutual option so (in theory) could have declined it and saved us the 2 mil buyout. The QO should have been the way to go imo

1/17.5 < 4/50 (that is the highest figure I have seen) or 4/42 for that matter.

Not really. Not when its considered that the O's payroll if Nick and Nelson are signed will be over 130m and they didn't want to add another 7.5m to that. Plus there is 50m coming off the book after the 2015 season through free agency. Its a matter of smoothing out the payroll over years.

I do not consider striking out 200+ times a good approach. That's just me though.

Yea Mark could draw a walk, so can Nick, the difference is what they do when they can't. Mark was a K with 30 or so HR's mixed in. Nick can actually get on base with singles etc.... Singles have value if there are guys who can drive those guys who hit them in

Last year Nick was better. By .04 in OPS. Over their career they are almost identical. Certainly within .011 in OPS.

I wonder if any of these numbers we're seeing include the 2 mil buyout? I'm gessing they don't and that is separate. According to Frobby Nick had a mutual option so (in theory) could have declined it and saved us the 2 mil buyout. The QO should have been the way to go imo

I kinda agree with you here.

I doubt Nick would have taken the QO nobody does and I do not see Nick being the first.

It would have however given us draft pick if he walks and probably further lessened his bargaining power IMO

I do not consider striking out 200+ times a good approach. That's just me though.

Yea Mark could draw a walk, so can Nick, the difference is what they do when they can't. Mark was a K with 30 or so HR's mixed in. Nick can actually get on base with singles etc.... Singles have value if there are guys who can drive those guys who hit them in

WTH does striking out have to do with having a great approach?

Player A never strikes out because he takes a weak, defensive swing at every pitch he sees within 4 inches of the strikezone. Does he have a good approach?

Player B never swings at a pitch out of the strikezone and until he has two strikes doesn't swing at strikes he doesn't think he can drive. His poor contact skills still have him striking out 200 times a season. Does he have a good approach?

K totals are not a good indicator, at all, of approach at the plate.

A Delmon role for 2 million? Sold.

Reynolds OPS+ over the last 4 years:

2011: 116

2012: 107

2013: 95

2014: 88

He doesn't have a pronounced platoon split either. His bat speed and eye have already declined and he's only 31 now. I'm not interested in Mark Reynolds. And he's a decent fielding 1B but you don't sign a guy for that when you already have two decent fielding 1B on the roster.

Archived