Orioles Discussing Four-Year Deal With Nick Markakis (Signs w/ATL)

Greg

Interesting how we have a couple people on here going on about the dumb stat people who can't recognize Nicks value are the same ones going on about how Reynolds swung at bad pitches.

Where has anyone called the "stat" people dumb. Ive often said I disagree with the stats but respect those who do. I assume im one of the couple you are referring too.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reynolds OPS+ over the last 4 years:

2011: 116

2012: 107

2013: 95

2014: 88

He doesn't have a pronounced platoon split either. His bat speed and eye have already declined and he's only 31 now. I'm not interested in Mark Reynolds. And he's a decent fielding 1B but you don't sign a guy for that when you already have two decent fielding 1B on the roster.

I supported the move to get rid of Reynolds when we did. Among other things, I think the expanded strike zone have helped to do him in. His limited skillset always had him on the fringe.

But what's the payoff for Markakis? You get the 2 WAR production that you basically paid full value for?

They are determining the value in the negotiation. Say he earns 4/40. When does he get pay the money. How much is deferred. What is it worth when it is paid. I think that is what is happening in the discussions.

I supported the move to get rid of Reynolds when we did. Among other things, I think the expanded strike zone have helped to do him in. His limited skillset always had him on the fringe.

But he is not that much less valuable offensively than Nick.

They are determining the value in the negotiation. Say he earns 4/40. When does he get pay the money. How much is deferred. What is it worth when it is paid. I think that is what is happening in the discussions.

That may well be true. I'm not convince we got to 40 yet.

That is nonsense.

Reynold's issue isn't approach, its making contact.

Not sure how you could ever watch him bat and think his problem is his approach.

Yea your right there....I do agree with that. I just tend to have a hard time separating approach from results. To me its like saying that a guy has a great approach to investing money but his problem making money. Thats fine and dandy, I just do not want him handling my money.

I do get some of what your all saying about Nick, I do not have this illusion that he is going to return to some form of himself he used to be. My issue is that I do not agree that there are better options in house at this point. If the team let him go and went and acquired one then so be it and I would be fine with that. I just have a hard time with idea that Lough (who I do value but differently than you) taking AB's that Nick could take is making this a better team.

But he is not that much less valuable offensively than Nick.

He has declined quite a bit and I think the expanded strike zone has hurt more than others with more standard skillsets. Also, he is a pretty horrid defender. He is a fringe player who appears more on that fringe now than he ever was.

Yea your right there....I do agree with that. I just tend to have a hard time separating approach from results. To me its like saying that a guy has a great approach to investing money but his problem making money. Thats fine and dandy, I just do not want him handling my money.

I do get some of what your all saying about Nick, I do not have this illusion that he is going to return to some form of himself he used to be. My issue is that I do not agree that there are better options in house at this point. If the team let him go and went and acquired one then so be it and I would be fine with that. I just have a hard time with idea that Lough (who I do value but differently than you) taking AB's that Nick could take is making this a better team.

Look at it this way. Reynolds is a bad baseball player whose only skills were power and approach. Kinda like Dyson is only in the majors because of defense and speed.

How? If you have a four man bench, with one being a catcher, what stops you from platooning 2 or even 3 spots?

You don't see it much around MLB. I count 16 players in MLB with 100+ PA who had 90% of his AB vs. one type of pitcher, 65 players at 80% (excluding switch hitters). Most or all of those are LHB. It's hard for a RHB to get over 50% vs. LHP, since about 72% of all major league PA come against RHP.

I thought maybe Lee Thomas had some input for Dan.

Clearly Lee is a trusted member of Dan's team.

I think Buck knows who the O's are looking at for left handed relievers. I think he is up to date on where talks are with other teams. I think he weighs in on who is likes and why.

I think Buck knows right where talks are with Nick and Nelson.

Archived