Orioles Discussing Four-Year Deal With Nick Markakis (Signs w/ATL)

Greg

I think it's a pretty safe bet that the O's want Markakis back. Again, hard to believe that Markakis wouldn't have signed already if there was a 4/40 offer out there, unless he feels he should be compensated as well as Hardy. Gotta think that the O's started low and are sticking to their guns. As much as they might want him back, they aren't going to go above what they are comfortable with. At least, that's what I hope. I don't think Duquette is afraid of losing Markakis to another team.

Most seem to think we have a 3/45 offer on the table to Cruz while he checks around the league to see if he can do better. There doesn't seem to be quite the same handle on the offer to Markakis.

Someone reported that the Orioles had offered Markakis 4/34. And there was also a report that the Markakis camp had leaked that the Orioles had low-balled Nick.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Someone reported that the Orioles had offered Markakis 4/34. And there was also a report that the Markakis camp had leaked that the Orioles had low-balled Nick.

I would call that a fair offer and hardly a low ball.

Much as I have advocated bringing him back it has to be on a contract that makes sense. 4/48 is ridiculous. 4/34 makes sense based on what other players have gotten and the market trends.

Nick may be suffering from reverse sticker shock. He's made 42 million over the last three years. He's due a serious cut. Can't be easy to stomach.

If the Orioles are questioning the value of Nick at 40 million, do we think maybe other teams are looking at that price value relationship as well?

Presumably. I assume they all do it.

I love Nick. I want him back. But I still want the O's to be fiscally responsible about it.

If the Orioles are questioning the value of Nick at 40 million, do we think maybe other teams are looking at that price value relationship as well?

I don't know but the n baseball free agency is boring. In other sports everyone would be signed by now. I don't want to spend the next 3 months arguing about whether Nick is worth 9 or 10 million a year. Why does it take these guys so long to make a decision?

I don't know but the n baseball free agency is boring. In other sports everyone would be signed by now. I don't want to spend the next 3 months arguing about whether Nick is worth 9 or 10 million a year. Why does it take these guys so long to make a decision?

Because the Orioles want to pay 8 or 8.5 and Nick wants 14.

Because only six or seven teams would entertain the type of contract that is desired, and they try to make it seem like there is a bidding war. They make up mystery teams and float rumors. But it is really a game of musical chairs and at this point there is no advantage to signing quickly. Until some of the chairs get filled.

If he thinks that is low balling, I welcome him to find a better deal elsewhere. He's not getting 14m a year.

Archived