Fangraphs: The Tigers as a model?

weams

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-tigers-of-the-future-arent-totally-screwed/

The Detroit Tigers are in an unusual position. There's nothing unusual about a team trying to win now, but there's something unusual about the Tigers' particular sense of urgency. We can acknowledge it has something to do with Mike Ilitch, and his age, and that's a little weird to talk about, but it's out there. Ilitch wants to see a winner and people don't live forever, so this is the current line of thinking: the Tigers will do anything to try to win right away, no matter what it means for the future, because what if there isn't a tomorrow?

I thought the Tigers had an excellent 2013 off season. The Fielder for Kinsler trade was a thing of beauty, and I thought the left side of Castellanos-Iglesias was going to have a big season. I also thought Joe Nathan would be a bit better. Well, straight-up the trade was a slam dunk but Castellanos isn't an all star and Iglesias got hurt.

This time around I'm not nearly as hot on their moves. Trading for David Price I understand, as they couldn't make it work with Max Scherzer, but it cost them some team chemistry with the loss of Austin Jackson. The contract to Victor Martinez is not appealing. They've still got an excellent core players all between 27-33, but they can win now without becoming the next Philadelphia Phillies.

Speaking of twtw and marmots, this reminds me of an anecdote...

While hiking a Colorado peak I encountered a marmot around 12000 ft. It was chewing on a leather glove for nourishment because food above alpine is hard to come by at certain parts of the year.

While we were stopped, the buddy I was with relieved himself off his "water" and the marmot abandoned his glove, temporarily, and took a drink.

What were we taking about again?

Archived