Official Winter Meetings Thread

weams

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, sort of. The Jays discussed a Fowler trade before they landed Michael Saunders. Who knows how far the talks got or how interested the Astros are in trading Fowler, however. I haven't seen anything to indicate the Astros are shopping him even though it would make sense for them to do so.

Aren't the two embolden terms kind of like "military intelligence"? :D

[video=youtube;Y8gndbh4ZMo]

So it seems our major moves on offense have been narrowed down to these six guys (listed in order of my preference):

1. Colby Rasmus (28)- He's been worth 13.4 wins in his 6 year career, having a couple great years 4+ WAR and a few stinkers 1/.6/.5 WAR....STeamer projects him to be worth 1.4 WAR as a league average hitter next year 101 wRC+ and average defense (That is with him as a CF, I think we can expect a nice jump with him moving to the corners.....He could be AJ next year or he could be replacement level.....Would be my favorite signing outta all these guys as I think he will be worth at least 2+ wins next year....Would think 1/8 with a 13 million dollar option and a 1 million dollar buyout would get it done.

2. Mike Morse (32)- Would love to get him signed to a 2/20 w/team option type deal after signing Rasmus....This guy can flat out rake when healthy has 133 148 113 80 (injuries killed him that year) 133 wRC+ since becoming a regular....He is the only guy who can replace Cruz with the bat and would likely be just as good the next 4 years...Should only play 1st and DH but can start rarely in the OF....He should be our 1st choice at DH/PH by far.

3. Nori Aoki (32)- He is NM almost to the tee since Nick lost his power....Best option to leadoff for us and has been worth 6.2 WAR in his 3 years in the bigs w/ wRC+ of 113 103 104 and 2 outta 3 years with plus D....His lowest obp in the majors so far has been .349 and had 8 and 10 HR outside of KC so while his power is limited he is a good bet for 8-15 HR playing in the AL East stadiums....A 2/18 with team option would be a steal seeing how wins are going for 7ish million in FA nowadays....Would be my number 2 choice after Rasmus...Although one could argue De Aza is close enough talent wise to not make his signing needed.

4. Jonny Gomes (34) and 5. Delmon Young (29)- Most of you would have Delmon ahead of him...Not me...Gomes career wOBA is .338, Young .322...A wash on D neither should own a glove....Now the reason we would sign these guys is for their bats against lefties and Gomes just is a cut above Delmon with a .376 OBP vs a .338 for Delmon, wRC+ 133 vs. 114...Gomes mashes lefties Delmon is above average but not anything special...Gomes does what Delmon does but better and is coming off a down year and won't command 2 years like Delmon and should come slightly cheaper than Mr. Young...Also how long before we see the behavior issues Delmon has had in the past...It's easy to be happy when you have a great year on a winning team but how would he react to a down year for him and the team...Although it's close give me Gomes everyday of the week.

6. Marlon Byrd (37)- Has WAR of 1.8 -1 4.1 and 1.9 the last four years although steamer only projects him to be worth .4 next year...He is gonna fall off a cliff sooner rather then later....Has a 1/8 deal with a vesting option that most likely will vest assuming health and ok production....Is an average defender at this point in his career with decline almost a certainty...Would DH the old man 1/3 of the time to keep him fresh...With that age and BABIP of .353 and .341 the last two years and it's easy to see why steamer see's a replacement leavel guy next year....Philly won't give him away and could see him cost a Mike Wright+....Would pass unless you can get him for nothing (you can't unless you count a 2 Mike Wright type prospects as nothing)

These our the guys we should be having 50 page threads for instead of the Kemps and Uptons since we know these guys are in play for us.......So what do you guys think about these guys? Feedback always welcomed and enjoyed

How would you rank these guys?

Can't say that I am excited about Travis Snider from looking at the stats. Inconsistent hitter. He does not replace Nick OBP which is the O's major need. He does have the arm to play right field. He is out of options and is arbitration eligible. MLBTR predicts his salary at 2M.

Overall I would pass on Snider and hope the O's can trade Matusz for a player with options that has a better upside.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Pat Neshek agrees to two-year, $12.5-million deal with Astros with an option.</p>— Brian McTaggart (@brianmctaggart) <a href="

">December 10, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Good Money for 1 good year.

I think I would be OK with this deal, but Snider and De Aza seem a bit redundant.

Snider could DH versus RHP with Pearce & De Aza in the corner OF spots or De Aza & Lough. Theoretically, if the team then signed Delmon Young or Chris Denorfia, they could replace two of Lough/De Aza/Snider versus LHP with Young/Denorfia and Pearce. It doesn't seem all that redundant. Snider would basically be a lefty platoon DH while De Aza would be at worst a left platooned OF or at most an everyday corner OF.

Can't say that I am excited about Travis Snider from looking at the stats. Inconsistent hitter. He does not replace Nick OBP which is the O's major need. He does have the arm to play right field. He is out of options and is arbitration eligible. MLBTR predicts his salary at 2M.

Overall I would pass on Snider and hope the O's can trade Matusz for a player with options that has a better upside.

NMTB-DavidTennant-Laughing.gif

Just be happy someone will take Matusz.

A lot of the failure of the Orioles can be linked to a very poor farm system from 1979-present.

Nearly all of our homegrown pitching prospects failed to reach expectations and the quality position players have been few and far between .

With the compensation system and the revenues being diverted into salary there is a feedback loop between farm system failure and free agent expenditures.

Snider is the Brian Matusz of outfielders. I would rather remove Matusz from the bullpen equation and if we have to DFA Snider at some point so be it. Just get Matusz off the damn roster. He's not a nugget.

I have no problem with trading Matusz if Dan has found a better lefty reliever. (Breslow?) But there is no reason to give Matusz away. Snider's offense does not look like a fit for the O's needs to me. He basically competes with Lough for the 4th outfielder position and can't be optioned. And he is lefthanded in a spot that the O's probably would be better served with a righthanded OFer.

What the O's need is to add players with better OBP. They currently project for a team OBP of 305 which would be down from 311 in 2014 because of the loss of Nick and Nelson. The three 311 was near the bottom of the league. I just don't see the fit for Snider.

I have no problem with trading Matusz if Dan has found a better lefty reliever. (Breslow?) But there is no reason to give Matusz away. Snider's offense does not look like a fit for the O's needs to me. He basically competes with Lough for the 4th outfielder position and can't be optioned. And he is lefthanded in a spot that the O's probably would be better served with a righthanded OFer.

What the O's need is to add players with better OBP. They currently project for a team OBP of 305 which would be down from 311 in 2014 because of the loss of Nick and Nelson. The three 311 was near the bottom of the league. I just don't see the fit for Snider.

Snider is a chance worth taking. He came up at the age of 20 with a fair amount of hype. He has been up and down, but he is just 26. There are a ton of guys with his profile that have ended up finding it a bit later in life.

Snider could DH versus RHP with Pearce & De Aza in the corner OF spots or De Aza & Lough. Theoretically, if the team then signed Delmon Young or Chris Denorfia, they could replace two of Lough/De Aza/Snider versus LHP with Young/Denorfia and Pearce. It doesn't seem all that redundant. Snider would basically be a lefty platoon DH while De Aza would be at worst a left platooned OF or at most an everyday corner OF.

Snider's numbers to not fit well in the DH role. He is 4th outfielder.

Archived