Toronto looking for New President to be Duquette.

OriolesManiac88

I dont want to speculate or anything but IMO if DD is really considering this job it may have to do something with the way this offseason is going and then having multiple key players heading into FA next season.

If Angelos is not give DD the full resources he needs to be able to resign / extend some of these players which would be the best for the club, I can see him wanting out.

I'm just trying to imagine what you would have written if you had actually wanted to speculate.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dont want to speculate or anything but IMO if DD is really considering this job it may have to do something with the way this offseason is going and then having multiple key players heading into FA next season.

If Angelos is not give DD the full resources he needs to be able to resign / extend some of these players which would be the best for the club, I can see him wanting out.

"If I don't get what I want, I quit" is not a terrific way to build a career, especially if you work contract to contract. It may be that DD feels restricted in his ability to maneuver, but that's a complaint that's common to many executives. Based on recent payroll figures, it's hard to conclude he's been excessively handcuffed.

I believe that, because that is proper procedure.

There are all sorts of ways of circumventing "proper procedure" -- it's done all the time in executive searches. For example, you contact a mutual friend and ask them, in an informal conversation, to gauge whether the target might be open to consider a new possibility. Or, if you know the target well yourself, you simply call them and say: "We're going to have a President/CEO opening, and I'd like to get your advice on who might be especially suitable candidates for the job." That gives the target the opening to add, after he/she gives a list of names, "Well, you know, I might be interested in such an opportunity myself." None of those approaches constitute "tampering", but they provide the opportunity to sense interest. I think it's highly likely this was done beforehand with both Williams and Duquette. But the BJ's never apparently got around to requesting permission from Peter to approach Dan officially. If the timelines being thrown around are correct, this might indicate that Williams was their first target, and they intended to get around to Dan only after determining that the Williams situation was not going to be resolved.

"If I don't get what I want, I quit" is not a terrific way to build a career, especially if you work contract to contract. It may be that DD feels restricted in his ability to maneuver, but that's a complaint that's common to many executives. Based on recent payroll figures, it's hard to conclude he's been excessively handcuffed.

Its one thing to not be able to get what you want but if its the case that he is not able to be competitive then I could see some re-thinking on his end. This is just my opinion of why he could consider the CEO position because it removes any possibility of being handcuffed.

Only a few will know how all this came about. It could have been an innocent statement from someone as to what they were looking for in Toronto and someone said something like "a guy like DD." Then it just snowballs.

DD seems like a pretty professional guy and not one for giving in to news leaks. Likewise PA is not always the villainous character portrayed here.

One thing is clear to me here, is that MLB should have period of time when it is allowable to make certain management changes. If they want to dump a GM/ or someone higher up it should be right after the season ends. Have a window to explore and a new guy gets signed before the Winter Meetings. If they can't do it on time use an interim from within the organization. It just keep conspiracy theorists quiet and appears more on the up and up.

You know that DD will take a lot of crap if the team falters to make a couple decent moves. Let's hope something goes right. The Cruz, Miller thing was going to happen. Markakis was a surprise to me, but to me he is the most replaceable of the 3.

For instance, Weams could tweet, "Sources say Dipper wants to leave his wife for Alyssa Milano, but Krissy won't let him."

Nothing in there is necessarily true, but none of it is a blatant lie either. I think these are the types of things that Rosenthal and company do to "scoop" their counterparts.

For instance, Weams could tweet, "Sources say Dipper wants to leave his wife for Alyssa Milano, but Krissy won't let him."

Nothing in there is necessarily true, but none of it is a blatant lie either. I think these are the types of things that Rosenthal and company do to "scoop" their counterparts.

Isn't Alyssa Milano married as well, there is no vacancy that we know of ??

Its one thing to not be able to get what you want but if its the case that he is not able to be competitive then I could see some re-thinking on his end. This is just my opinion of why he could consider the CEO position because it removes any possibility of being handcuffed.

Even CEO's are answerable to the Board of Directors and dealing with a group or committee can often be considerably more difficult than dealing with an individual. Even an individual with a reputation for being difficult like PA.

One thing that's missing from this discussion is a recognition of the opportunity that Dan Duquette currently has with the Baltimore Orioles. He is in the position of getting the credit for turning around a severely broken franchise and if he handles things a deftly over the next four years as he has the first three, the sky will be the limit for him after the 2018 season. He's not that old and his MLB career is far from over. He's been given a golden opportunity to resurrect a career that was on the trash heap and he's done extremely well. This isn't being lost on the rest of baseball.

I have no insider information what-so-ever, but if I was a betting, I would say that Markakis would still be an Orioles with nearly any of GM than Duke. Peter loved Markakis and probably wanted him resigned. Duke knows baseball and knows Nick is no longer a $40 million right fielder. Also, I'm pretty sure there aren't many teams in baseball who pay closers $40 million, especially closers who have never closed before. So the only move that we could even consider that Duke would have made is Cruz, and even then, signing a 35 year old to a $60 million deal based on one great season is not something a smart baseball GM does.

So while I am just speculating, I don't really think Duke signs any of those three no matter who his owner is.

This is what I would do if we were all attending a Who's the Boss conference and we were traveling Jet Blue with no WiFi. As we were leaving the tarmac. For a six hour trip. Hoping to get maximum attention to my twitter feed as we land. Because I am a dinosaur, living with humans.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hoskDZRLOCs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Now Really.

MV5BMjAwMzUxMzU2NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTgwODUyMQ@@._V1_SY317_CR9,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Yeah the Orioles are in the middle of the pack with regards to salary.

I saw Tony's take last night when this story appeared dead, but I'd like to know what he's thinking now that this keeps dragging out and we still have no real detailed comments from Duke?

I'm hoping that things are like Dan said and he's knee deep in trade discussions right now and not even thinking about this "story" but how can he be?

Archived