Toronto looking for New President to be Duquette.

OriolesManiac88

It would be so easy for him to put the rumors to rest. Maybe the reason he won't come out and flat out say he isn't going anywhere is because there is a deal being worked out in the background?

Or, maybe he just doesn't want to come out and lie by saying something like, "being VP of the Orioles is a better job for me, in spite of the extra million dollars or so I would make as president/ceo of the Blue Jays."

I don't blame him if he wants to explore a better job. I do think it's reasonable for Angelos to expect him to complete the job in Baltimore by putting in place an organization that will continue to function smoothly -- without major upheaval -- should he leave. At that point, the O's will have to insist that he not take anyone else from the front office with him. Also, it will have to be done at a time other than at the Winter Meetings.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It would be so easy for him to put the rumors to rest. Maybe the reason he won't come out and flat out say he isn't going anywhere is because there is a deal being worked out in the background?

I do not think that indicating that he has no interest in a presidency is in his nature.

Or, maybe he just doesn't want to come out and lie by saying something like, "being VP of the Orioles is a better job for me, in spite of the extra million dollars or so I would make as president/ceo of the Blue Jays."

I don't blame him if he wants to explore a better job. I do think it's reasonable for Angelos to expect him to complete the job in Baltimore by putting in place an organization that will continue to function smoothly -- without major upheaval -- should he leave. At that point, the O's will have to insist that he not take anyone else from the front office with him. Also, it will have to be done at a time other than at the Winter Meetings.

It would be more than a million. It would be a lot. I do not think Dan is wealthy either.

Reading through all this makes me ask these questions...

Should the Orioles offer him this type of position? There is currently no "President" position with the Orioles.

Would he be interested in staying with the Orioles in this capacity or would he always be looking for the next "President" job?

It would be more than a million. It would be a lot. I do not think Dan is wealthy either.

Yea it would be several million a year more.

Then there is stability and job security. The guy who has the job now Beeson has been there in that position since 1976. Not to many team presidents/CEO's get fired, its everyone else under them that does.

Yes, and the Blue Jays pay better than the Orioles. I remember hearing on a radio program when LaCava decided not to consider the O's job that he made almost as much as an asst GM in Toronto as the O's were offering for the GM job. In addition to being the Blue Jays head honcho, Beeston also is responsible for the Rogers Center. That's a huge job by itself. DD would probably be looking at a bump of a few million and (as you mentioned earlier), perhaps Rogers Communications stock options.

I don't think Peter Angelos will look at it the same way. And they are in the same division.

He won't look at it the same way at all. First of all, I doubt Duquette was under contract for an additional four years when he was with the Expos. Second, chances are that the Montreal GM job was the lowest-paying in baseball. Third, it was well-known that Duquette had grown up in Massachusetts as an avid Red Sox fan. That truly was his dream job.

As an aside, here is an odd tidbit I just picked up: did you know that Duquette sits on the board of directors of a Canadian banking company based in Toronto?

NEW YORK, NEW YORK, April 8, 2013 – The Concorde Group, Inc., an international financial services company, today announced that Mr. Daniel F. Duquette has become an equity investor in Concorde and has agreed to join its Board of Directors. Mr. Duquette will join Concorde’s Board of Directors at the time of the sale of Concorde’s assets to a Canadian company, which will then seek to be listed publicly on the TSX market in Canada, depending on market conditions. Concorde’s banking operations will be moved to Toronto although its current corporate management in New York will continue to run its daily operations. The asset sale and public listing are scheduled to be completed during the third quarter of 2013.

Mr. Duquette has been the Executive Vice-President of Baseball Operations for the Baltimore Orioles since November 2011, having recently signed a six-year contract extension in January. Mr. Duquette began his career in professional baseball as a scouting assistant with the Milwaukee Brewers in 1980. In 1987, Mr. Duquette became Director of Player Development for the Montreal Expos, and was subsequently promoted to General Manager, acting as such from September 1991 through January 1994. He was General Manager of the Boston Red Sox from 1994 through March 2002. Mr. Duquette was also a founding member of the Israel Baseball League in 2007. He oversaw quick turnarounds during his tenures as GM of the Expos and Red Sox, expanding fan interest in both markets. A native of Dalton, Massachusetts, Mr. Duquette graduated in 1980 from Amherst College, where he was a member of both the varsity baseball and varsity football teams.

Dr. Craig A. Zabala, Founder, Chairman of the Board, President and Chief Executive Officer of Concorde stated, “We are excited to have an individual of Dan’s experience and acumen joining the Board of Directors of Concorde upon our move into Canada. Dan’s unique insight and business perspective will greatly assist Concorde in the development and execution of its merchant banking activities with entrepreneurs and small to mid-size business in North America, South America, Europe, and Asia. This capital market segment is where new job growth is accelerated, sorely needed in the U.S. and beyond, and which drives consumption in the general economy.”

Mr. Duquette commented “I am pleased to be a Concorde shareholder and look forward to joining the Board of Directors of Concorde as it transitions into the Canadian market, where I spent my early years in Major League Baseball with the Montreal Expos. There is a strong need for direct capital investment in small and mid-size companies that are significantly underserved both in the United States and overseas. I am excited to play an instrumental part of an opportunistic and growing merchant bank that intends to help fill this void with both private equity and debt financing.”

http://concorde-us.com/news/pressrel201304.pdf

Kind of gives legs to the idea that Dan would covet a high executive position at a large corporation in Toronto, don't you think?

He won't look at it the same way at all. First of all, I doubt Duquette was under contract for an additional four years when he was with the Expos. Second, chances are that the Montreal GM job was the lowest-paying in baseball. Third, it was well-known that Duquette had grown up in Massachusetts as an avid Red Sox fan. That truly was his dream job.

As an aside, here is an odd tidbit I just picked up: did you know that Duquette sits on the board of directors of a Canadian banking company based in Toronto?

Kind of gives legs to the idea that Dan would covet a high executive position at a large corporation in Toronto, don't you think?

Nice find.

All we know is that Duquette has been named a candidate as the next CEO of the Blue Jays and he has not denied it. I wouldn't expect this whole process to go quickly so if anything does come out of this, it would be more in line for the 2016 season.

Whether Duquette comes out and clarifies his intent...well thats on him but who ever really turns down a promotion??

All we know is that Duquette has been named a candidate as the next CEO of the Blue Jays and he has not denied it. I wouldn't expect this whole process to go quickly so if anything does come out of this, it would be more in line for the 2016 season.

Whether Duquette comes out and clarifies his intent...well thats on him but who ever really turns down a promotion??

I agree.

Or says. "Oh no. That job would be too tough for me and I could not do it. I would never want the extra responsibility and whopping pay increase."

He is certainly not someone who would be afraid of Canada.

Yes, that does give it legs. As much as I try to be fair, I personally would hold DD to his contract for at least a year or two and plan for a seem less transition. I wouldn't completely prevent him from leaving but to bolt now would create all kinds of a mess and I could see significant litigation. On top of the MASN issue.

Yes, that does give it legs. As much as I try to be fair, I personally would hold DD to his contract for at least a year or two and plan for a seem less transition. I wouldn't completely prevent him from leaving but to bolt now would create all kinds of a mess and I could see significant litigation. On top of the MASN issue.

Isn't it funny that the two owners most un-liked by the new commissioner have been targeted. Reinsdorf and Angelos? Manfred is named in the MASN suit and Reinsdorf led the opposition to his candidacy. It's almost like these clowns don't believe they were caught for collusion and think that the rest of the world does not see their machinations.

Archived