Is now the time to extend Bud?

Dark Helmet

I wouldn't consider many of those to be paying during the down years. They got huge value on a lot of those contracts. And guys like Rolen were gone by the time their downfall hit.

But like I said' date=' they can afford to do that because of how deep in talent the rest of their team was, and how cheap it was. That's not us. So why does it make sense for us to skip step one on the Cardinals model, and go straight to step 2? Step 1 is a necessity for step 2.[/quote']

But didn't they skip step 1 last year? When they gave up 2 picks? They paid market value for Ubaldo and gave up a pick. Can't have it both ways.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But didn't they skip step 1 last year? When they gave up 2 picks? They paid market value for Ubaldo and gave up a pick. Can't have it both ways.

The got back that pick by letting Cruz go. And all Ubaldo cost was pick two. Which we got back as competitive balance.

The Cardinals are active and aggressive in the Latin American market in addition to being very efficient in the Rule 4 draft. I doubt we will ever match them on step 1.

The Cardinals signed Albert Pujols to 7 years $100 M plus and then let him walk when he wanted ARod money. They signed Matt Holliday and Yadier Molina to substantial contracts as well as Adam Wainright (5/$90 M I believe). Just last season they signed Jhonny Peralta to a 4/$53. They have acquired or signed several pitchers on mid-sized contracts. The Cardinals should be the model for us to follow but we are not in their league.

Regarding the original point of this thread, I seriously doubt DD extends a QO to Bud. I think many here are going to be shocked when we decline on that front.

I would like to see the O's offer Norris 3/30, but it takes two to tango. Bud would be giving up 2 free agent years. Will he do that?

It took the O's 17 years to come up with a pitching staff that could win a division champions. It took DD three years but he did it. It would be good if the O's could keep has much of it as possible.

Last year the O's had a #2 in Tillman, several #3's in Chen, Norris, Gonzo and Gausman and a #5 in Jimenez. Chen is gone after 2015. Boras will see to it that he is priced out of the O's reach. I think Jimenez will be traded this season if the O's starters stay healthy. I don't see him spending 3 more years with the O's because he costs too much for what he is likely to produce. He will go the way of Cruz, Markakis and Jim Johnson.

So in 2016 I would think that Gausman is a #1, Tillman a #2 and Norris (if extended) and Gonzo as #3's. Bundy has to be projected in the 2016 rotation.

The projections for Mike Wright, T Berry, McFarland, Davies and Wilson are as back of the rotation starters or relievers. It doesn't seem like a good plan to reserve a spot in the rotation at this point for any of these guys. Instead they may be replacements for O'Day, Hunter, and Webb who are getting more expensive year after year. Drake may also fit in the 2016 pen.

In this scenario a three year contract to Norris fits nicely IMO.

IMO If i was the Owner and saw so many holes in 2016. Knowing i got 1 more year with this group. I would go for it in 2015.

If you were the owner, we'd be on a blue jays forum cursing the spending freeze and then cursing moves that left us with worse offense.

Respectfully.

Bud is a guy who gets maybe 3/30 or 3/36 on the open market, if that much. If he has a first round pick attached to him no one is going to touch him at those prices unless they go brain dead like the Mets FO. I'd be willing to bet he never gets a qualifying offer. If he does get one, he should accept it.

Someone would definitely give up the second round pick if they make another acquisition, though. If he accepted, not the end of the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you were the owner, we'd be on a blue jays forum cursing the spending freeze and then cursing moves that left us with worse offense.

Respectfully.

They had a team at the deadline and yet their ownership would not permit them to spend one dollar.

Archived