Is now the time to extend Bud?

Dark Helmet

I'm talking about players like Manny Gausman and Bundy if you hit gold with them.

Do I think Peter might offer them an Adam Jones-Evan Longoria type deal? Sure. Do I think if they turn that down he would pay them market value based on their peak production? No, and I sure hope he wouldn't.

The complaints about the Orioles should be:

1. They don't offer that type of team friendly deal earlier into the arbitration process to lock up a star player at a potentially great rate, thereby allowing a lot of excess value on the contract. (not saying the opportunity has come up and they haven't done it, but going forward, that would be a valid criticism if it does come up and they don't).

2. They don't sell high on players they knew they weren't going to pay, thereby allowing for a constant stream of young, controllable talent to come in. Somebody like Chris Davis after 2013, although I doubt most would have supported the trade after 2013.

But complaining that the Orioles don't pay the market rate to lock up players after most of their prime years are over, is just a poor understanding of what this team must do to be successful. We shouldn't be the team that locks up Albert Pujols after his contract is up, we should be the team that gets the best years out of him, takes the pick, and lets somebody else lock him up for market value.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When the last time one of those teams won the World Series? I'll wait your gonna be a while.

1985 Kansas City Royals

1987 Minnesota Twins

1989 Oakland Athletics

1990 Cincinnati Reds

1991 Minnesota Twins

1992 Toronto Blue Jays

1993 Toronto Blue Jays

1997 Florida Marlins

2003 Florida Marlins[

2005 Chicago White Sox

Oh, and the steroid era ended.

Say the Orioles hit gold with Gausman and Bundy. Anyone think the owner steps up and pays them?

He won't have to for quite awhile. They will be cost controlled and then he'll deal with arbitration. Maybe he'll extend them maybe not.

Next year the O's will have between 60-70 million to fill the holes. Plus we'll have our farm system which, depending on how guys like Alvarez and Walker continue to develop, may provide few additional low cost options. Pretty efficient huh?

Do I think Peter might offer them an Adam Jones-Evan Longoria type deal? Sure. Do I think if they turn that down he would pay them market value based on their peak production? No' date=' and I sure hope he wouldn't.

1. They don't offer that type of team friendly deal earlier into the arbitration process to lock up a star player at a potentially great rate, thereby allowing a lot of excess value on the contract. (not saying the opportunity has come up and they haven't done it, but going forward, that would be a valid criticism if it does come up and they don't).

2. They don't sell high on players they knew they weren't going to pay, thereby allowing for a constant stream of young, controllable talent to come in. Somebody like Chris Davis after 2013, although I doubt most would have supported the trade after 2013.

But complaining that the Orioles don't pay the market rate to lock up players after most of their prime years are over, is just a poor understanding of what this team must do to be successful. [b'] We shouldn't be the team that locks up Albert Pujols after his contract is up, we should be the team that gets the best years out of him, takes the pick, and lets somebody else lock him up for market value.[/b]

Same question to you. When the last time one of those teams won the World Series? I'll wait your gonna be a while.

1985 Kansas City Royals

1987 Minnesota Twins

1989 Oakland Athletics

1990 Cincinnati Reds

1991 Minnesota Twins

1992 Toronto Blue Jays

1993 Toronto Blue Jays

1997 Florida Marlins

2003 Florida Marlins[

2005 Chicago White Sox

Oh, and the steroid era ended.

So none in the last 11 years. That White Sox team didn't do that.

Do I think Peter might offer them an Adam Jones-Evan Longoria type deal? Sure. Do I think if they turn that down he would pay them market value based on their peak production? No' date=' and I sure hope he wouldn't.

But complaining that the Orioles don't pay the market rate to lock up players after most of their prime years are over, is just a poor understanding of what this team must do to be successful. We shouldn't be the team that locks up Albert Pujols after his contract is up, we should be the team that gets the best years out of him, takes the pick, and lets somebody else lock him up for market value.[/quote']

Dan Duquette did not have the banked fortitude to trade our 53 Home Run first baseman after two season here.

I've already tried to explain why I don't think the Orioles should be paying market value for backend starters. If you're telling me the organizational plan is a failure' date=' then lets get out the pitchforks and head to Eutaw Street.[/quote']

Fine i will give you that point on Norris. How are you filling 5 bats next off-season?

When a team spends it's way to the World Series with a mid to small market base, I'll concede.

Spending is no guarantee you win it all. But i will bet you the winner of the World Series spent money.

Archived