Trade Idea - Carlos Quentin

SticksandStones

For reference, here is last week's Quentin thread:

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/145588-Carlos-Quentin

Gracias amigo!

Although I understand the Padres adding TWO more OF's to their depth chart pushes everyone like Quentin down another rung. I started that after the Kemp deal, let alone the Myers and Upton followups. Last week I figured Venable and Maybin would still be like the DeAza's and Lough's of their roster.

Now Upton, Myers, Kemp start. I guess you keep Maybin in the Dyson/Lough role and sub him in for defense anytime you have a 7th inning lead.

But Venable as well as Quentin are squeezed, and assuming Smith (who I read was promised by ownership he wouldn't be traded, before Preller was hired) then rolls to 1B, where does that leave Alonso?

I could be wrong but my understanding is the team that picks him up would sign him as a free agent. SD would be on the hook for his salary minus his new contract. So we could sign him for $2M and SD would still be on the hook for $6M.

If he is DFAed and claimed on waivers, the claiming team is responsible for the salary. If he clears waivers and is released, the original team is on the hook for the salary. There is no value to SD in releasing him if there goal is to shed some payroll.

If he is DFAed and claimed on waivers, the claiming team is responsible for the salary. If he clears waivers and is released, the original team is on the hook for the salary. There is no value to SD in releasing him if there goal is to shed some payroll.

The rule I quoted if I understand it correctly states that if he clears waivers and gets released, the original team would be on the hook for his salary less the amount he is paid by the new team. So it would shed some payroll, albeit maybe not much. Either way, I would not trade anything more than Matusz to get him.

OPS+

Carlos Quentin (120)

Seth Smith (113)

Will Venable (106)

Smith and Venable are good left fielders. Venable is a good baserunner but was a terrible hitter last year. Quentin is a poor fielder, injury prone, and seemed like a bit of a ***** in that whole Greinke incident, but I'd take him at DH.

I'd take Smith (2/13) or Quentin (1/8).

The rule I quoted if I understand it correctly states that if he clears waivers and gets released, the original team would be on the hook for his salary less the amount he is paid by the new team. So it would shed some payroll, albeit maybe not much. Either way, I would not trade anything more than Matusz to get him.

You are correct. We are arguing the same

Thing.

Archived