Smith for Matusz...?

EagleOriole

I want to bang the drum for Smith for Matusz again. Not sure SD wants Matusz, but he makes sense for them. Smith would give us improved statistics to Markakis v. RHP in RF and could platoon with Pearce there. Pearce would pick up a lot more AB vs. RHP at DH. I really think Smith would be a smart investment.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know why the team with the best bullpen in the NL would want Brian Matusz.

I think they'd rather have David Lough as an inexpensive left-handed 4th outfielder who can replace Myers in CF late in games. Smith is due to make $12.75 million over the next two years. Lough, not so much.

Don't know why the team with the best bullpen in the NL would want Brian Matusz.

I think they'd rather have David Lough as an inexpensive left-handed 4th outfielder who can replace Myers in CF late in games. Smith is due to make $12.75 million over the next two years. Lough, not so much.

I guess Matusz isn't the right piece, but we have to have a piece they would want for Smith - on the other hand, don't think Lough is that piece either - they already have too many OFs there.

I guess Matusz isn't the right piece, but we have to have a piece they would want for Smith - on the other hand, don't think Lough is that piece either - they already have too many OFs there.

They don't have an inexpensive outfielder who hits left handed. Lough might be part of a package, but he would enable them to trade Smith (as well as trading Maybin or Venable).

IMO, the Padres are going to want more than Brian Matusz. I'm not even sure Matusz would be the main piece going back. There would have to be a co-piece involved.

Equal value, to me, would be something like Bud Norris for Seth Smith. I think there is potential for expanding a trade to the Pads but that's not DD's style. The Pads are said to have interest in Chris Davis. I was about to start a thread just to drum up some conversation. Here's a blockbuster that won't happen.

Bud Norris, Chris Davis, Brian Matusz for Seth Smith, Carlos Quentin, Yonder Alonso. Pearce goes to 1B. Quentin to DH. Smith to RF. Alonso backs up 1B and DH.

I truly like the idea of a big trade, but I'm not sure about this one. I realize that Norris and Davis are "one and done", but I'd rather get back younger players than get Quentin and Alonso. Smith would be interesting, but I'm really not sold on him, either. I'd rather make this trade involving Smith and some of their prospects.

They don't have an inexpensive outfielder who hits left handed. Lough might be part of a package, but he would enable them to trade Smith (as well as trading Maybin or Venable).

I would think Abraham Almonte could fill that role as an inexpensive outfielder:

32 98 9 26 5 0 2 7 6 20 1 2 .265 .305 .378 .683 0.6

IMO, the Padres are going to want more than Brian Matusz. I'm not even sure Matusz would be the main piece going back. There would have to be a co-piece involved.

Equal value, to me, would be something like Bud Norris for Seth Smith. I think there is potential for expanding a trade to the Pads but that's not DD's style. The Pads are said to have interest in Chris Davis. I was about to start a thread just to drum up some conversation. Here's a blockbuster that won't happen.

Bud Norris, Chris Davis, Brian Matusz for Seth Smith, Carlos Quentin, Yonder Alonso. Pearce goes to 1B. Quentin to DH. Smith to RF. Alonso backs up 1B and DH.

For as much as I goofed on putting Matusz for Smith in the original deal (and thanks to everyone who let me know :) ) I think this deal is pretty bad.

Took part in MlbTR chat yesterday. Someone asked what it would take for the Giants to get Smith. John Adams of MLBTR speculated that it wouldn't take much a fifteen to twenty prospect.

With regard to the O's, the issue regarding Smith is more about taking on the dollars not the players going back.

Thanks for the great analysis!

I would not trade a year of Norris and Davis and what they are likely to produce for us this year for a 32 year old slugger who has had 284, 276, and 130 ABs in the past 3 years and a 1B who is 27 years old and has 27 home runs in 1267 at-bats whose 3 year OPS has dropped from .741/.709/.682.

There is a simpler deal to get Smith without giving up two important pieces to a contending team. Especially since the MLBTrade Rumors chat said Smith could probably be had with a prospect in the 15-20 range. So where as I may have undersold Smith with Matusz - your deal is giving up way too much value this year + compensation picks after next year for a good platoon RF, a broken down slugger, and a never has been 1B.

Enough analysis for you?

Archived