Smith for Matusz...?

EagleOriole

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's usually the same people that are constant bashing him.

I usually bash him. I don't think he's valuable. He could be a throw-in to a team with no LOOGY that is willing to eat his salary in order to complete a dea or is returning a player with a bad contract. I don't see anyone doing anything special to get him.

I think it is weird when you offer the analysis that was snarkly asked for and the thread disappears. I guess Matusz for Smith isn't the right deal - so what is the right deal for Smith. They clearly want to move him. He clearly upgrades our offense right where we need it (OBP). So what is a fair deal for Smith? Not Smith and SD's trash.

Would you give up a Mike Wright or Tim Berry to get Smith?

MLBTR has the names Bundy and Gausman brought up for Smith. I don't think they're interested in a throwaway LOOGY if those are the kinds of names being discussed instead.

Everyone is going to ask for them first, just in case DD is having a seizure at the time and agrees to it.

Then I disagree with John Adams. A 15-20 prospect is a straight salary dump. Smith only makes 6M this year and 6.75M next year. He also had an .807 OPS in a tough hitter's park and was a 3.9 WAR player last year. I'd be pleasantly shocked if we could get him for Matusz or a 15-20 prospect.

Looking at Smith as if he is a 3.9 WAR player is a huge mistake. He has never come close to that, with the lone exception being last year. His career work clearly shows 2014 to be an extreme outlier. Smith had 2.3 WAR back in 2009, and 1.8 WAR in 2012. All other seasons of his career have resulted in less than 1 WAR production. His salary is right where it should be. He is not a bargain. Having said that, he is not a bad target as a platoon OF/DH, given SD's glut of outfielders. However, there is no reason at all to pay anywhere near some of the prices I have seen suggested on this site for him. Norris would be a huge overpay. Matusz really is reasonable, but I'm not sure that SD has a need for him. Given the fact that SD would be helped quite a bit by removing the 2 year/ $13MM obligation to Smith, the 15-20 ranked prospect option Adams suggests looks about right to me. I just don't get the massive overrating of Smith I have seen here. San Diego is certainly not dealing from a position of strength here.

Looking at Smith as if he is a 3.9 WAR player is a huge mistake. He has never come close to that, with the lone exception being last year. His career work clearly shows 2014 to be an extreme outlier. Smith had 2.3 WAR back in 2009, and 1.8 WAR in 2012. All other seasons of his career have resulted in less than 1 WAR production. His salary is right where it should be. He is not a bargain. Having said that, he is not a bad target as a platoon OF/DH, given SD's glut of outfielders. However, there is no reason at all to pay anywhere near some of the prices I have seen suggested on this site for him. Norris would be a huge overpay. Matusz really is reasonable, but I'm not sure that SD has a need for him. Given the fact that SD would be helped quite a bit by removing the 2 year/ $13MM obligation to Smith, the 15-20 ranked prospect option Adams suggests looks about right to me. I just don't get the massive overrating of Smith I have seen here. San Diego is certainly not dealing from a position of strength here.

Agree with all of these points. Norris could potentially be a QO guy next season. I think the comp pick is more valuable than surplus value on Smith's contract over the next season.

Anyone think that any other teams may give Matusz a shot as a fifth starter? Or at the very least a BP arm with a shot at the rotation should someone go down?

I think you make good arguments here. Seriously. Question though. You give worst case scenarios on the Padres. What do you expect from Norris and Davis?

My thoughts on Norris and Davis...worst case for Davis would be a repeat of last year, but I feel he will be a .250/.330/.490 type hitter with 25-30 homers. Norris should reach double digit wins with a 3.75-4.00 ERA. A solid #4. That is too much to give up for the players you have suggested we get back.

Yeah I read that too. I got that those names were discussed but not necessarily in the context of Smith and Venable. If they were the names the Padres wanted in a trade for those outfielders, I doubt we would still be talking with them.

Archived