Orioles Sign Delmon Young - 1 Year Deal

SticksandStones

I don't think it is really that important to get another LH hitting OF/DH type. We already have two LH outfielders in Lough and DeAza. Right now:

C - Wieters, Joseph

1B - Davis

2B - Schoop

3B - Machado

SS - Hardy

COF - Lough, De Aza, Pearce, Young

CF - Jones

UTI - Flaherty

That leaves one spot and there are a lot of choices about how to deploy it.

Young is not an outfielder. At least not a good one. He is a DH.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So as of now there is only 1 position spot open.

Weiters

Davis

Schoop

Hardy

Machado

De Aza

Jones

Lough

Pearce

Young, Caleb, Flaherty.

My preferences to fill it would be...

1. Sign Rasmus and have Lough on the bench

2. Sign Ichiro and have lough on the bench

3. Give the extra bench spot to Parades

4. Give the extra bench spot to Reimold

5. Trade for a corner OF'er type that will cost more in terms of money and prospects than they would at the trade deadline.

So as of now there is only 1 position spot open.

Weiters

Davis

Schoop

Hardy

Machado

De Aza

Jones

Lough

Pearce

Young, Caleb, Flaherty.

My preferences to fill it would be...

1. Sign Rasmus and have Lough on the bench

2. Sign Ichiro and have lough on the bench

3. Give the extra bench spot to Parades

4. Give the extra bench spot to Reimold

5. Trade for a corner OF'er type that will cost more in terms of money and prospects than they would at the trade deadline.

Alex Hassan.

o

In 7 months, Camden Chat changed their tune big-time in regard to Young, albeit from 2 different writers:

(APRIL 7th, 2014)

Why is Delmon Young on the Roster?

(By Kevin Ebert)

http://www.camdenchat.com/2014/4/7/5587992/orioles-delmon-young-2014-roster-why

(NOVEMBER 26th, 2014)

Delmon Young Contributed More Than Just That One Big Hit to This Year's Orioles Team *

(By Mark Brown)

http://www.camdenchat.com/2014/11/26/7290843/orioles-season-review-delmon-young

* To his credit, Brown conceded that earlier in the season, he was pushing for Young to be released. I admire that in a writer. :cool:

...... "Back in April or May some time, I was agitating for the Orioles to send Young packing. His past indiscretions made him into something of an undesirable presence for a fan. We have to root for THAT guy? And all along there would be comments from fans of other teams, acting like the Orioles have a truly terrible human being on the team. But on top of that, he just felt like a redundant presence. They didn't need another right-handed bat on the bench." ......

Had to get away from the site today to begin preparing part of our Italian Christmas dinner. As luck would have it the O's sign Young while I'm off getting fatter. I'm very pleased that we signed him. He's come a long way since his unfortunate youthful mistake. Duquette got him for one year at a about what I thought it would take on an AAC. I would have gone two but that's why I read about deals and don't make them. Now DD is positioned to take on additional payroll via trade. Nice little stocking stuffer from our boy Dan. Merry Christmas.

My issue is purely baseball. He provides no value outside of his hit tool and the tool just really isn't that good. He provides negative value in just about every other respect. He had a nice year I guess, the double in the playoffs was awesome, but, he's not a good baseball player (relative to his peers of course).

Thankfully Buck isn't asking him to be a baseball player.

Archived