Morosi: On Field Rule Changes for 2015

weams

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/mlb-highly-unlikely-to-adopt-pitch-clock-in-2015-010415

-- A rule stipulating that runners must slide directly into second base on double plays, as opposed to deviating from their paths with a takeout slide. "Sliding into second will cut down on injuries, both for the fielder and the runner," Mordecai said. "Quite frankly, there aren't a lot of guys that really know how to bust up double plays. They slide early and never quite get to the fielder."

MLB also is giving strong consideration to modifying the 2014 instant replay rule, forcing managers to indicate more quickly to umpires whether they intend to challenge a particular call.

Meanwhile, MLB executives and owners are expected to take another look at Rule 7.13 - enacted last year to discourage home-plate collisions - at next week's meetings. Rule 7.13 was clarified twice during the 2014 regular season, first to specify that it does not apply to force plays and later to say it shouldn't be used in cases when the runner is clearly out.

They specifically exempted the play from review.

I've read before the Union, in the same spirit as the new home plate collision rules, purposely wants the neighborhood play for player safety purposes. I guess Oriole fans today would be okay with stricter construction - our linebacker out there figures to need less protection than the wispy Altuve types.

I've read before the Union, in the same spirit as the new home plate collision rules, purposely wants the neighborhood play for player safety purposes. I guess Oriole fans today would be okay with stricter construction - our linebacker out there figures to need less protection than the wispy Altuve types.

Altuve doesn't really even get close. His range is poor as well. He's one of the worst fielding second basemen of his era.

Archived