Scherzer (Signs w/Nats 7 -$210M )

neveradoubt

The Nats were a very stout team before this signing. Building teams in the phase they are in is typically about marginal dollars for marginal utility. I don't really understand this approach. I get the whole Zimmerman piece of it and I'd guess they will trade him for positional help, but the Nats were strongest in their rotation. Scherzer is a stud now, but so is Zimmerman so I see very little marginal gain if S replaces Z this year. Meanwhile their bullpen is weaker, they still don't hit enough, and they have now committed themselves to a lot of salary for a long time.

I wouldn't call this crazy, but I would call it risky and I would think there were better ways for the Nats to spend their money. If Scherzer gets hurt or loses effectiveness anytime before year 5, this deal will be a huge albatross which would be possibly ok if it were the proverbial cherry on top for 2015/2016/2017. I just don't see this addition to an already strong group of starters as a huge delta improvement.

Weird move if you ask me.

The way I look at it they didn't like their chances of signing Zim or Stars long term. This gets them a guy under control and they can flip one of the other two for substantially more then the draft pick they lost.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think trading Zimmermann is a lock. They may just take the pick now that they have a 2Bman. I also believe that their bullpen is a little underrated as Trienen and Barrett will have expanded roles with Clippard gone. Add Roark to that pen and it becomes deep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some contract details.

The contract calls for Scherzer's salary to be $10 million in 2015 and $15 million in each of the next three seasons. It then jumps to $35 million a year in 2019, 2020 and 2021, the seasons in which his deferrals kick in. In addition, Scherzer's $50 million signing bonus will be spread out over the life of the contract.

Sources have previously indicated that the $105 million in deferred money will be paid out through 2028.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/12212896/max-scherzer-pact-washington-nationals-gets-35m-per-last-3-seasons

2015: $10 million

2016: $15 million

2017: $15 million

2018: $15 million

2019: $35 million

2020: $35 million

2021: $35 million

So 105 million of this deal is deferred.

But Boras gets his commission in one lump sum up front right?

• 2 years later...
On 1/18/2015 at 5:31 PM, neveradoubt said:

Scherzer is close to signing with the Nationals, per Jon Haymen. 

o

(ALMOST 3 YEARS LATER)

Scherzer just won his 2nd consecutive Cy Young Award, and the 3rd of his career overall.

Nationals’ Max Scherzer Wins 2nd Consecutive NL Cy Young Award

(By Chelsea Janes)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/nationals-journal/wp/2017/11/15/nationals-max-scherzer-wins-second-consecutive-nl-cy-young-award/?utm_term=.005d79c9906e

o

Per fangraphs, Scherzer already has been worth $144 mm in the first three years of his deal.   He only has to be worth $66 mm over the final four years to justify the package he got, and that’s before you factor in the fact that more than half his salary is deferred.   He’s only been paid $40 mm total in his first three seasons, and only gets $15 mm next year.    Then in the final three years his salary is $35 mm/yr, but only $15 mm paid currently, and the rest in the form of deferred payments payable from 2022-25.    The discounted value of his deal is a lot less than $210 mm.    This deal has worked out great for the Nats so far.

• 7 months later...

o

(vs. RED SOX, 7/02/18)

While Scherzer is having yet another outstanding season, the Red Sox are making him labor to the max so far tonight.

They made him throw 27 pitches in the 2nd inning ........ and followed that up by making him throw 35 more pitches in the 3rd.

And to boot, all 3 runs that the Red Sox have scored so far tonight came on a bases-clearing double with 2 outs ........ by pitcher Rick Porcello.

o

Archived