Blue Jays end negotiations for Dan Duquette (Beeston re-signs for 2015 season)

xian4

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it is too early to judge Dan's drafts.

No it isn't. It is apparent that a team that had a losing record for 14 years always had a much better draft position than a team that was always competitive and sacrificed picks to try to make the playoffs for three seasons running. There is no possibility that the Duquette drafts could equal the drafts that produced Wieters, Machado, Matusz and Hobgood.

No it isn't. It is apparent that a team that had a losing record for 14 years always had a much better draft position than a team that was always competitive and sacrificed picks to try to make the playoffs for three seasons running. There is no possibility that the Duquette drafts could equal the drafts that produced Wieters, Machado, Matusz and Hobgood.

That and Dan is a lot more likely to sacrifice draft picks.

Also, Andy didn't pick Wieters.

Who makes the draft picks, the GM or the Scouting Director or both. My guess is each team works differently, but the GMs main responsibility is to hire the scouting director and the scouts.

That said, MacPhail's 4 #1 picks:

Matusz

Hobgood

Machado

Bundy

Duquettes 2 #1 picks (none in 2014):

Gausman

Harvey

Who makes the draft picks, the GM or the Scouting Director or both. My guess is each team works differently, but the GMs main responsibility is to hire the scouting director and the scouts.

That said, MacPhail's 4 #1 picks:

Matusz

Hobgood

Machado

Bundy

Duquettes 2 #1 picks (none in 2014):

Gausman

Harvey

I would say Andy was 3-4 with a HR (Machado), two singles (Matusz and Bundy) with one K (Hobgood). I would say Dan is 1-1 with a triple (Gausman) and a walk (Harvey), we can't count him as a PA yea

T.

I don't give Andy much credit for drafting Manny Machado. The broad consensus that year was that there was a wide gulf between the top three available players (Harper, Taillon, Machado) and everyone else. I think 30 of 30 teams might have picked Manny at no. 3.

I don't give Andy much credit for drafting Manny Machado. The broad consensus that year was that there was a wide gulf between the top three available players (Harper, Taillon, Machado) and everyone else. I think 30 of 30 teams might have picked Manny at no. 3.

I'm inclined to give him credit or blame for every pick. Manny wasn't a cheap sign I could see where a team might have skipped him for financial reasons.

Archived