Carfado: GM's Actually Took Vote On Shift Ban

weams

General managers actually took a vote on defensive shifting at their November meetings in Phoenix, and only approximately 4-6 wanted to eliminate it. Agent Scott Boras is against defensive shifting, and is in agreement with commissioner Rob Manfred in having discussions about eliminating it. Boras cites a number of reasons, among them lefthanded pull hitters not being rewarded for hitting the ball hard and where it?s pitched (a mantra taught by coaches as players come up through the ranks); the effect it may have on amateur players down the road; and the possible increase in strikeouts.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/02/07/brian-cashman-believes-yankees/t92xuJifaD43DApWZoa7lL/story.html

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why do they even mention what Boras is for and against? Part of the reason folks have an unrealistic view of Boras is the media singling him out like this.

Yeah, I don't know Boras from Adam.

But he is generally not liked in the media or sports msg boards concerning baseball contract talks.

And having said that (and knowing as little as I do) I would not sign one of his clients/players

And as I have said on numerous occasions - if you do not like the shift: get better

JMHO

This is the most ridiculous baseball debate of my lifetime. I can not believe it's even being considered dictating to a defence where it can and can not position players. What next -no guarding the lines at first and third in late innings? 3rd baseman can't play in on suspected bunts? Outfield not allowed to play shallow when a hitter with no pop is up? This is lunacy. That 4 or 5 GMs voted in favor of this monstrosity makes me angry.

This is the most ridiculous baseball debate of my lifetime. I can not believe it's even being considered dictating to a defence where it can and can not position players. What next -no guarding the lines at first and third in late innings? 3rd baseman can't play in on suspected bunts? Outfield not allowed to play shallow when a hitter with no pop is up? This is lunacy. That 4 or 5 GMs voted in favor of this monstrosity makes me angry.

Limiting the use of specialty relievers is next. I'm serious.

Why do they even mention what Boras is for and against? Part of the reason folks have an unrealistic view of Boras is the media singling him out like this.

This is an interesting point. I really don't know how much power Boras has, but it sure seems like he's got something going on with the brass. Way too often his clients end up pushing the boundaries of player salary, and usually it's after a long drawn-out process where it seems no one will bite.

I think that if baseball wants to grow the game, which I assume is the end goal of this (quicker games, more offense), then twisting and altering the game constantly is the worst thing to do. Baseball is great largely because of it's tradition, strategy, etc. Trying to make baseball all things to all people is a recipe for failure IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived