O's Sign Everth Cabrera

SticksandStones

Personally I think he takes Flash's job but gets a bit more playing time when folks are healthy.

I also think there are some concerns about how many games they can run Hardy out there for.

I agree, he is depth for Hardy. If the backup IF has to start for a few games, then there will be an immediate need for a quality and versatile INF to be brought up from AAA and fill that void.

My personal opinion. Flash is the incumbent and has the job.

Unless he has a really bad ST or Cabrera is extremely on fire and batting over .400.

I think Schoop is the starting second basemen and has the job, and if the entire team is struggling scoring runs, then maybe roster changes happen. If the team is winning and even if he isn't hitting. He will be the starting 2nd.

Again, just my own opinion.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think they will try something different this spring. Hey, It's just my opinion. Dan doesn't have much emotion.

I am sure they will try lots of options, but at the end of the day.

My opinion has Schoop in the starting role at 2nd and go from there.

Buck loves great defense and and like Frobby pointed out in his thread:

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/146475-Buck-quot-part-of-developing-pitching-is-having-guys-who-can-defend-quot

We all know the four twenty game winners was the benefit of the same.

I am sure they will try lots of options, but at the end of the day.

My opinion has Schoop in the starting role at 2nd and go from there.

Buck loves great defense and and like Frobby pointed out in his thread:

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/146475-Buck-quot-part-of-developing-pitching-is-having-guys-who-can-defend-quot

We all know the four twenty game winners was the benefit of the same.

The National writers were talking like they though Everth would be some kind of wizard at second as well.

The National writers were talking like they though Everth would be some kind of wizard at second as well.

He might well be, but to me, Schoop is the incumbent.

DD mentioned they needed to strengthen their depth and this signing is just one of many that he has done in that regards. Lots of question marks to be answered during ST and DD is giving himself choices and options.

Cot's has Schoop at 1.027 service time entering this year. I didn't always know that .027 means 27 days - for a while I thought it was decimals.

I think that means he would need to be down about six weeks to remain under six years even after the 2019 season - that would change him to like 5.175 at that point instead of 6.027. I'm not sure how high the non-decimal number of days goes - I think somewhere in the 180's.

So the balance seems to be a couple months of 2015 to gain club control of 2020.

It works like this: There are 182 days in the season this year, from April 6 through October 4. However, 172 days of service is considered a full year. For Schoop to not reach 2 full years of service this season, he's have to be on the 25-man roster for no more than 144 days (= 171 - 27) So yes, he'd need to miss at least 38 days (= 182 - 144) in order to fall short of two years of service by the end of 2015.

He might well be, but to me, Schoop is the incumbent.

I understand this thinking, but I don't really understand why it should carry all that much weight. Schoop has been pushed (probably rushed) several times in his career. He only played 77 games at A+ (.704 OPS) before being pushed to AA to start 2012 at age 20. He only had 70 games at Norfolk (.697 OPS) before being rushed to Baltimore last year after a great spring and due largely to the lack of other options.

I don't think taking a step back for Schoop would be a bad thing. And Cabrera gives them another option that was not there for them last year.

I understand this thinking, but I don't really understand why it should carry all that much weight. Schoop has been pushed (probably rushed) several times in his career. He only played 77 games at A+ (.704 OPS) before being pushed to AA to start 2012 at age 20. He only had 70 games at Norfolk (.697 OPS) before being rushed to Baltimore last year after a great spring and due largely to the lack of other options.

I don't think taking a step back for Schoop would be a bad thing. And Cabrera gives them another option that was not there for them last year.

Plus Schoop will be right back if he hits well. I think Middle infielders will be a roster shuttle position this season when needed.

Plus Schoop will be right back if he hits well. I think Middle infielders will be a roster shuttle position this season when needed.

If Cabrera is installed as the second baseman then there is no spot for Schoop even if he hits well at AAA. His only chance at success will be if Cabrera fails.

What was Schoop's defensive WAR last year @ 2nd?

What was Schoop's defensive WAR last year @ 2nd?

Cabrera also projects as a good defender. I don't think Schoop's defense provides THAT significant an advantage. To answer your question, Schoop ranked as the 7th best defender at 2B last year in the majors based on fangraphs' defensive rankings. Behind Pedroia, Kinsler and Kendrick in the AL.

Offensively, he ranked 34th out of 35 2B with at least 300 PAs in wRC+. Stephen Drew was worse.

Cot's has Schoop at 1.027 service time entering this year. I didn't always know that .027 means 27 days - for a while I thought it was decimals.

I think that means he would need to be down about six weeks to remain under six years even after the 2019 season - that would change him to like 5.175 at that point instead of 6.027. I'm not sure how high the non-decimal number of days goes - I think somewhere in the 180's.

So the balance seems to be a couple months of 2015 to gain club control of 2020.

5.175=6.003.

Cabrera also projects as a good defender. I don't think Schoop's defense provides THAT significant an advantage. To answer your question, Schoop ranked as the 7th best defender at 2B last year in the majors based on fangraphs' defensive rankings. Behind Pedroia, Kinsler and Kendrick in the AL.

Offensively, he ranked 34th out of 35 2B with at least 300 PAs in wRC+. Stephen Drew was worse.

But, within that ranking is that he, like JJ Hardy, led the league in double play proficiency. I'll happily give up a bit of range for more double plays.

But, within that ranking is that he, like JJ Hardy, led the league in double play proficiency. I'll happily give up a bit of range for more double plays.

There is no doubt that he is good around the bag, and I read the fangraphs piece last August about his DP proficiency. But the Orioles turned more DPs in 2013 (428) than in 2014 (368). Part of that is almost certainly related to better pitching and fewer baserunners in the first place, but I'm not sure the incremental gain in terms of DP proficiency or overall defense outweighs the offensive deficiencies.

Archived