Union head, Tony Clark, watching Kris Bryant situation

BohKnowsBmore

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The last CBA is irrelevant.

Bryant does not fall under the CBA. He is a minor league player, he is not even on the 40 man roster. The Cubs can send him to A ball if they want. They can hold him back at extended spring training and send hit to rookie ball if they want.

The Union has no power over how MLB teams treat minor league players.

I understand he doesn't technically fall under the CBA. My point is, they had a chance to address the rule, itself, and they didn't. This happens w/ multiple teams every year and the MLBPA has never voiced a problem w/ it. The only reason they're raising a stink about it now is because the-cancer-that-is-Scott-Boris is whining about it.

They can't have it both ways. You can't ignore any/every chance to help MiL players, but then suddenly get angry because a top sports agent feels like he's losing out on money. Weams said it in an earlier post. If they really wanted to change this, that means they'd have to give up something in the next CBA and, honestly, I don't see the MLBPA giving up on something that affects ALL ML players (something like 10-5 rights) purely to help non-union members get two weeks more playing time.

I understand he doesn't technically fall under the CBA. My point is, they had a chance to address the rule, itself, and they didn't. This happens w/ multiple teams every year and the MLBPA has never voiced a problem w/ it. The only reason they're raising a stink about it now is because the-cancer-that-is-Scott-Boris is whining about it.

They can't have it both ways. You can't ignore any/every chance to help MiL players, but then suddenly get angry because a top sports agent feels like he's losing out on money. Weams said it in an earlier post. If they really wanted to change this, that means they'd have to give up something in the next CBA and, honestly, I don't see the MLBPA giving up on something that affects ALL ML players (something like 10-5 rights) purely to help non-union members get two weeks more playing time.

During the last agreement they had no problem dealing away the rights of the yet to be drafted players. They won't do anything to help the MiLB players unless there is some sort of large scale revolt of the fans due to media coverage. Then the union and MLB will get together and agree to some changes.

What they TECHNICALLY would have to extend to all minor league players is the RIGHT to be in the union from day one. Collectively organize them. It might not be what they want. Technically.

During the last agreement they had no problem dealing away the rights of the yet to be drafted players. They won't do anything to help the MiLB players unless there is some sort of large scale revolt of the fans due to media coverage. Then the union and MLB will get together and agree to some changes.

It's a closely held union. Fan revolts mean nothing. And it is not something that fans would feel passionate about enough anyway. As long as ticket prices stay down. And we already saw, it's all about the TV revenue anyway.

It's a closely held union. Fan revolts mean nothing. And it is not something that fans would feel passionate about enough anyway. As long as ticket prices stay down. And we already saw, it's all about the TV revenue anyway.

The Union agreeing to PED testing shows otherwise.

That wasn't the fans.

A lot of it was.

Fans, Congress, players in that order.

It was a public relations nightmare.

Now picture an old time reporter, like when you were a kid. This guy follows an A ball team for a month, or maybe the whole season.

Does interviews with players who are married with kids.

You don't think you can sell that story to the American public?

Five guys sharing a one bedroom?

Five guys buying a TV from Walmart then returning it after 29 days?

Pre-game buffets of PB&J sandwiches and crackers?

I think the public buys that product.

I think they care just long enough to make things uncomfortable for MLB and the Player's Union.

A lot of it was.

Now picture an old time reporter, like when you were a kid. This guy follows an A ball team for a month, or maybe the whole season.

I think they care just long enough to make things uncomfortable for MLB and the Player's Union.

I think you put far too much faith in the public to care beyond their lives. It's the action that counts and I do not believe that fans will act.

A lot of it was.

You do know they do get meal money. Right? They just don't spend it on food. I watched Jason Berken go to the dollar menu at McDonalds in Sarasota. On more than one occasion. The the minor leaguers did not miss a meal. They did, however, go out in the evenings.

A lot of it was.

Minor League Baseball Players do not get paid during Spring Training. They only receive $20 for every meal the team doesn't provide. Some teams provide all meals which means the players get paid nothing, while some teams don't provide dinner.

Therefore those players would get $140 a week for meal money. There aren't many other things to consider when determining how much money Minor League Baseball Players make / get paid besides the signing bonus. But that is just a one time payment and varies very much depending on where a player was drafted

The dinners did not count as team provided.

You do know they do get meal money. Right? They just don't spend it on food. I watched Jason Berken go to the dollar menu at McDonalds in Sarasota. On more than one occasion. The the minor leaguers did not miss a meal. They did, however, go out in the evenings.

Oh I know the single ones can get along at a college kid level of life.

Just saying you could sell that story.

Archived