2015 A.L. East Standings

OFFNY

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yankees are really off to a hot start. I think a lot of use thought this would be the year that they finally fell apart.

Their lineup is being carried in part by Teixeira who has 9 homeruns despite barely batting over .200 and ARod, who I don't think can be expected to keep up his current rate of productivity. They also have issues with their SP. With that said, I wouldn't be surprised if they stuck around and contended for the playoffs for most of the summer. Their bullpen is shutdown and the top of their order Ellsbury-Gardner is the best in the division.

I keep waiting for them to fall to earth. Their offense has been really odd. They have five guys hitting well (Tex, ARod, Ellsbury, Gardner and Chris Young), and then they have a bunch of guys who have been terrible (especially Drew, Gregorius and Beltran). Their bullpen has been lights out -- not just Miller and Betances, but everyone (1.68 ERA combined). Their starting pitching has held together so far, but with Tanaka out, may begin to falter. They are better than I expected.

So far, we're 3-1 in our stretch of the augmented schedule. I was hoping we'd go 4-2 overall, which seems likely given how rare it is for one team to sweep a double header (thinking forward to our DH with the ChiSox). Gotta hand it to our guys, they'll fight to the end. Adversity has no meaning to this group.

I keep waiting for them to fall to earth. Their offense has been really odd. They have five guys hitting well (Tex, ARod, Ellsbury, Gardner and Chris Young), and then they have a bunch of guys who have been terrible (especially Drew, Gregorius and Beltran). Their bullpen has been lights out -- not just Miller and Betances, but everyone (1.68 ERA combined). Their starting pitching has held together so far, but with Tanaka out, may begin to falter. They are better than I expected.

Tex is batting .202 and hitting bombs.

Sounds a bit like Davis was last season.

Surprising how well their bullpen is, and they gave it a total makeover.

So?

Same was said for the Tiger's bullpen last year, and they still royally sucked.

I'm trying to figure out who in the world would have said that the Tigers only had to play 7 inning games last year with that horrible bullpen. Maybe someone said that they'd only be competitive for 7 innings every night, or that they better have a 5-run lead after 7 innings... hmm.

I'm trying to figure out who in the world would have said that the Tigers only had to play 7 inning games last year with that horrible bullpen. Maybe someone said that they'd only be competitive for 7 innings every night, or that they better have a 5-run lead after 7 innings... hmm.

The response was, the Yankee's bullpen is so good, since the starters go 7 innings, they only have to throw 2.

My comment, ask the Tigers, their starters went 7 all the time, and their bullpen still stunk.

The response was, the Yankee's bullpen is so good, since the starters go 7 innings, they only have to throw 2.

My comment, ask the Tigers, their starters went 7 all the time, and their bullpen still stunk.

That's a rather odd interpretation of Nate22's comment that "[t]hey only have to play 7 inning games." That doesn't suggest to me that the Yankees' starters often go 7 innings. It means that if the Yankees are ahead after 7 innings, it's game over.

But for the record, the Orioles are 12-0 when leading after 7 innings, and 11-1 when leading after 6 IP.

I think you misinterpreted the statement. That "they only have to play 7 inning games" refers to the notion that the back end of their bullpen is so good that the game is essentially over after 7, as you're not likely to score or even hit much in the final 2 frames.

That's a rather odd interpretation of Nate22's comment that "[t]hey only have to play 7 inning games." That doesn't suggest to me that the Yankees' starters often go 7 innings. It means that if the Yankees are ahead after 7 innings, it's game over.

But for the record, the Orioles are 12-0 when leading after 7 innings, and 11-1 when leading after 6 IP.

Whoa, that makes me feel really good !!!

No really, it does.

That stat/bit of information kind of reminds me of the Orioles' starting pitchers/pitching last year.

They didn't have any flashy, superstar, Clayton Kershaw-like aces, BUT ...... what they did have was a group of 4 or 5 solid, steady, dependable starters that helped lead the team (with some help from an excellent bullpen and excellent defense) to 96 wins and an easy division title.

I think you misinterpreted the statement. That "they only have to play 7 inning games" refers to the notion that the back end of their bullpen is so good that the game is essentially over after 7, as you're not likely to score or even hit much in the final 2 frames.

your right, I sure did.

Whoa, that makes me feel really good !!!

No really, it does.

That stat/bit of information kind of reminds me of the Orioles' starting pitchers/pitching last year.

They didn't have any flashy, superstar, Clayton Kershaw-like aces, BUT ...... what they did have was a group of 4 or 5 solid, steady, dependable starters that helped lead the team (with some help from an excellent bullpen and excellent defense) to 96 wins and an easy division title.

The only game we've lost when leading after 6 innings was the April 13 game where Tommy Hunter entered the game at the start of the 7th inning, up two runs, and promptly allowed four runs. We did have one other blown save, when Zach allowed a run to Boston in the 9th despite no ball leaving the infield, but we came back to win that game. Britton (1.69 ERA, 0.94 WHIP) and O'Day (0.90 ERA, 0.60 WHIP) haven't exactly been chopped liver. Brach and Hunter started off the year shaky but have been very effective lately.

The only game we've lost when leading after 6 innings was the April 13 game where Tommy Hunter entered the game at the start of the 7th inning, up two runs, and promptly allowed four runs. We did have one other blown save, when Zach allowed a run to Boston in the 9th despite no ball leaving the infield, but we came back to win that game. Britton (1.69 ERA, 0.94 WHIP) and O'Day (0.90 ERA, 0.60 WHIP) haven't exactly been chopped liver. Brach and Hunter started off the year shaky but have been very effective lately.

And don't forget the Gas-man.....also much more effective lately. Looking forward to seeing how we match up with the NY teams this week. When we pitch well, we seem to win a lot.

Archived