2015 Atlanta Braves

OFFNY

Jim Johnson comes in the game in the 9th with the Braves up 1-0, lets the first 2 batters on and then retires the side. Ryan Lavarnway - of all people scored the run. Brilliantly pitched 7 inning 78 pitch performance by Teheran, but Braves pinch-hit for him - and the pinch-hitter made it a wise decision - Pedro Ciriaco came through with the RBI. He's a talented athlete for a career utility man and the Braves preferred him over Phil Gosselin. Braves sweep the Mets despite Freddie Freeman missing the series with a wrist problem. Now just a half game behind the Mets and 1.5 behind the Nats.

Very glad to see Jimbo get himself into and out of trouble.

I really liked him when he was with us, and I still like him a lot.

As long as he isn't wearing a Yankees uniform or a Red Sox uniform, I will always like him a lot.

• 4 weeks later...
Very glad to see Jimbo get himself into and out of trouble.

I really liked him when he was with us, and I still like him a lot.

As long as he isn't wearing a Yankees uniform or a Red Sox uniform, I will always like him a lot.

Hopefully I don't jinx him, but JJ's having perhaps the best run of his career and is now the Braves' closer - since a season-ending injury to Jason Grilli. He hasn't given up a run since June 8th - yes June 8th, not July 8th. It's possible he gets traded, as the Braves fiture Arodys Viscaino (sp?) is their closer of the future - and the Braves are/should be in rebuild mode.

• 2 weeks later...

o

I saw something on a Braves site that reminded me that it has been 20 years since they won the World Series in 1995.

Also, that 1995 title made the Braves the first franchise ever to win a World Series in 3 different cities:

1914: Boston Braves

1957: Milwaukee Braves

1995: Atlanta Braves

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/ATL/

In football, the Rams are the only franchise ever to win a world championship in 3 different cities (Cleveland, Los Angeles, and St. Louis.)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not at all understanding today's trade of Nick Swisher and Bourn back to Atl for Chris Johnson. All 3 are over-paid and not players I'd want on my team. Bourn's been playing well lately, but how long is that going to last? Well, I guess the Braves move him or Maybin to LF, and that definitely improves their defense, but why would atlanta pay for a short-term fix like him? He gets paid 14 mil next year. They could simply promote Mallex Smith and pay him about 1/20th of what Bourn's getting. Smh

A Bourn sequel?

I'm not at all understanding today's trade of Nick Swisher and Bourn back to Atl for Chris Johnson. All 3 are over-paid and not players I'd want on my team. Bourn's been playing well lately, but how long is that going to last? Well, I guess the Braves move him or Maybin to LF, and that definitely improves their defense, but why would atlanta pay for a short-term fix like him? He gets paid 14 mil next year. They could simply promote Mallex Smith and pay him about 1/20th of what Bourn's getting. Smh

A Bourn sequel?

Cleveland is sending $10M to Atlanta, which is the difference between the bad contracts between both teams. Cleveland spreads the dead money over two years whereas Atlanta gets it over in one year and has more payroll flexibility for 2017 when they hope to compete.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Shelby Miller has a no-hitter through 7 - with 10 SO's, 102 pitches thrown. He's the worst supported pitcher in baseball - I think that includes elementary school teams. The Braves have given him 1 run this game - scored on an error of course.

Yeah, it's been ugly. Believe it or not, I think they're going to be a playoff contender next season. Hector Olivera will give them their first good 3rd baseman in years - assuming he's healthy. Christian Bethancourt should be finally ready to start at catcher - hitting .327/.359/.480 in AAA after a disasterous start in the bigs. Mallex Smith looks ready to be a very good leadoff man next season. And they're pretty much set at the other position - though I'm not confident Jace Peterson is the answer at 2nd base. They could certainly use more power, but it should be an improved lineup.

The real talent potential on the team is pitching. They have a ton of young pitchers - led by Miller and Teheran - and several guys who are going to be coming back from injuries.

Going forward, their prime strategy to improve the organizational talent in 2016 seems to be using the 2016 international bonus pool - taking advantage of the fact that many of the large market teams will be restricted. They've traded for several slots, and they stole the Yankees top international scout - Gordon Blakeley. http://tomahawktake.com/2015/05/31/atlanta-braves-soon-to-invite-international-intrigue/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Looking ahead, Braves are setting up well for the long-term but have an extremely weak lineup heading into next season. Look for them to try to get a bargain with one of the free agent OFers and then trade OFer Ender Inciarte - who's value is primarily in his defense. Houston seems like a likely target, but there are other teams that need help in CF.

Archived