For What it's worth.....

Belkast

Bruce Miles has repeatedly said the Cubs aren't considering trading Pie, and he's always spot on with everything. BTW, Bruce said something about Jake Fox possibly going to an AL team sometime because he can flat out rake but can't catch (probably a 1st baseman), which leads me to wonder if you guys are considering him. I don't think Bruce was hinting at anything with Fox being discussed, but just in general since Fox doesn't fit with our club.

I understand what's been said about Pie as an untouchable, but does Pie become available if the Cubs make a deal for Crisp?

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bruce Miles has repeatedly said the Cubs aren't considering trading Pie, and he's always spot on with everything. BTW, Bruce said something about Jake Fox possibly going to an AL team sometime because he can flat out rake but can't catch (probably a 1st baseman), which leads me to wonder if you guys are considering him. I don't think Bruce was hinting at anything with Fox being discussed, but just in general since Fox doesn't fit with our club.

Fox might be the 5th player.

From J. Sickels....

Jake Fox C-1B

Jake Fox has a ton of power. He kills fastballs, and is fully capable of launching hug tape-measure homers. However, his overall plate disciplin is shaky, and he will go through phases wfere he tries to pull everything, which will hurt his batting average adn OBP in the majors. His defense behind the plate is substandard. He has a good arm, but his foot work gets tangeled up at times nd he lacks mobility. He can play 1B OK, and Fox's future is likely as a platoon 1B/DH type although he's got a chance to be a very good example of that species C+

There is now doubt he needs to work on his control but common 66 K,s with 31bb,s in 46 innings and he is only 20 years old and by the way hitters batting 0.99 against him now thats a kid with a very high ceiling.The Orioles would drool to get this kid.Most young pitchers that throw hard usually struggle with there command.If hitters are affraid to hit against him he is a head of the game.

The ~12.5 K9 is very nice but more than 6 BB9 is terrible. There's no doubt he's ahead of the game when you're talking about Midwest League - and that was my point about him not facing his competition. It's also why he very well may skip Daytona but he has a long way to the majors until he shows some semblance of control. Really must keep in shape and then find consistent mechanics too. I like the kid a lot but he shouldn't be considered a top pitching prospect just yet.

Probably Reimold, Olson, Liz or Penn.

We are the team that wants prospects I cant see the Orioles trading any of these guys to chicago. If chicago wants another player I am sure it is from the major league club.

I hope this is the case now and not within the next year.

And what cheap dominant LHP do you want to replace him with when we are ready to compete in 2010? What LHRP do you want to give up a 2nd round pick for? Sherrill will be the ripe old age of 32 then. If you want to trade somebody, Walker should be the one. Eat some of his contract if you have to, but he should go before Sherrill.

I agree with you Owl he is not ready yet but when the Orioles are ready to compete in 2 to 3 years Ceda will be ready.My sisters husband was at the game Sunday and all the scouts there he said were just glowing when this kid pitched they all showing each other there radar guns.Teams love power arms so he is a high ceiling guy teams would want.

The Radio reports say that the Orioles want 5 players:

Gallagher,

At least one of Cedeno and Patterson

Pie,

and more pitching (presumably at least one of Veal or Ceda, not a 40 man player).

The Cubs don't want Payton, but will get a 2nd player.

So, who could the Orioles give up in addition to Roberts that gets them that package? Reimold?

Five players INCLUDING Felix Pie?

Yeah right.

Roger that. Since we're going to be 60-102 this year anyways (that's sadly not much worse than we ended up last year), who cares if we have Sherril this year or not.

I would happily trade him in the right deal.

Not sure if Pie / Ceda is the right deal, however.

Roberts, Payton, Sherrill for Gallagher, Ceda, Pie, Marquis?

IMO this is a terrible deal.

And what cheap dominant LHP do you want to replace him with when we are ready to compete in 2010? What LHRP do you want to give up a 2nd round pick for? Sherrill will be the ripe old age of 32 then. If you want to trade somebody, Walker should be the one. Eat some of his contract if you have to, but he should go before Sherrill.

Personally, I am hoping Garrett Olson turns into a cheap dominant LH reliever. I think that will be his role long term in the bigs.

Archived