I don't want to see Wieters playing for the O's until.......

wildcard

he can throw and hit as well as Caleb Joseph.

When Matt Wieters returns he will no doubt take playing time away from Joseph. I am fine with that as long as he can hit and throw as well as Joseph. If Wieters can't then he belongs on the DL.

Caleb's defense and throwing are solid. Wieters needs to be recovered enough to not lower the bar the Joseph has set. Though Joseph offense is bound to lessen as the season moves on, Wieters needs to be at least hit as well as Joseph is hitting before Wieters returns.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as I'm concerned, he only needs to be able to replace Lavarnway. Let him play one game a week, then two, and so forth until he's fully back. Hopefully, he'll be swinging the bat well enough to be a bat off the bench when needed, something Lavarnway doesn't provide. If he can't supplant Joseph because he's still hitting like a monster, that's another issue.

As far as I'm concerned, he only needs to be able to replace Lavarnway. Let him play one game a week, then two, and so forth until he's fully back. Hopefully, he'll be swinging the bat well enough to be a bat off the bench when needed, something Lavarnway doesn't provide. If he can't supplant Joseph because he's still hitting like a monster, that's another issue.

Yes ...I'm thinking this as well. But I'm certain Wieters would be very unhappy playing 1 game per week.

he can throw and hit as well as Caleb Joseph.

When Matt Wieters returns he will no doubt take playing time away from Joseph. I am fine with that as long as he can hit and throw as well as Joseph. If Wieters can't then he belongs on the DL.

Caleb's defense and throwing are solid. Wieters needs to be recovered enough to not lower the bar the Joseph has set. Though Joseph offense is bound to lessen as the season moves on, Wieters needs to be at least hit as well as Joseph is hitting before Wieters returns.

Do you not trust Buck? Or Dan Duquette? Why would you think that they'd start Wieters every day over Joseph if Wieters wasn't the option they thought was going to win the most games? And in any case, I hope you're not suggesting that they sit Wieters until such time as Joseph's number just return to reality. Yes, he's 9-for-24, but obviously that's not representative of his ability (well, unless you're interpreting that .375 average as a typical short-term variation around his low-200s true talent).

With so many guys in their walk years it will be a touchy juggling job for Buck

If Wieters doesn't make it back and play the majority of the games it will literally cost him 10's of millions of dollars. Same deal with moving Norris to the bullpen for Gausman, or benching Davis for Pearce.

Unfortunately Wieters will have to be real bad to not take the majority of the starts from Joseph. I am concerned about the negative impact his pitch framing will have on the whole staff.

Do you not trust Buck? Or Dan Duquette? Why would you think that they'd start Wieters every day over Joseph if Wieters wasn't the option they thought was going to win the most games? And in any case, I hope you're not suggesting that they sit Wieters until such time as Joseph's number just return to reality. Yes, he's 9-for-24, but obviously that's not representative of his ability (well, unless you're interpreting that .375 average as a typical short-term variation around his low-200s true talent).

We still got about a month or more before Wieters makes it back. We shall see if Joseph is back to his normal hitting range by then.

With so many guys in their walk years it will be a touchy juggling job for Buck

If Wieters doesn't make it back and play the majority of the games it will literally cost him 10's of millions of dollars. Same deal with moving Norris to the bullpen for Gausman, or benching Davis for Pearce.

Unfortunately Wieters will have to be real bad to not take the majority of the starts from Joseph. I am concerned about the negative impact his pitch framing will have on the whole staff.

It's... interesting... that so many of you think that the Orioles will prioritize (or will have great difficulty prioritizing) future contracts, egos, emotions, veteranocity and individual wants over winning baseball games.

It's... interesting... that so many of you think that the Orioles will prioritize (or will have great difficulty prioritizing) future contracts, egos, emotions, veteranocity and individual wants over winning baseball games.

I agree with you.

Buck wants to win and he has said repeatedly over the years. I will play the guys that I think give me the best chance to so.

What's interesting is the scenario where Buck feels it is more or less a wash between Wieters and Joseph. In that scenario, are we better off returning Wieters to being the primary catcher so he can build value and hopefully yield us a comp pick when he declares free agency, or are we better off making Joseph the primary catcher (or splitting duties 50/50), which helps Joseph accumulate experience that he can use while he remains under team control for the five years after this one, while depressing Wieters' FA value to the point where we might be able to keep him?

Having posed that hypothetical, I doubt Buck will feel it is more or less a wash between Wieters and Joseph. Buck thinks Wieters walks on water. I've also been struck by some of the hero-worshipping things that Joseph has said about Wieters:

"It's really weird because I've been in big league camp with him for five years," Joseph said. "I had such an exciting time watching him catch for the first time just because it's really beautiful when he does it. He's just so good at what he does and I like to learn by watching him each and every day. He does something every day. 'I wonder if I can try that and do that.'

"Hopefully, when he comes back, it's really soon. It's going to be fun to be on the same team. We were basically on the same team last year, but it's different when you're watching a guy play versus listening to a guy talk. It will be fun, interesting, and I'll be excited for it."

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/03/caleb-joseph-on-his-latest-opportunity.html

Aside from his short time in the MiL, the production has never matched the hype. I'm no Wieters hater, but I'm in no hurry to see him get back. I think Joseph is more valuable behind the plate.

Slight disagreement with you.

At least in my opinion

His bat never lived up to the hype.

But, he was a dang good catcher behind the plate.

Slight disagreement with you.

At least in my opinion

His bat never lived up to the hype.

But, he was a dang good catcher behind the plate.

I am not saying Wieters is a bad catcher, not at all. I think he is well above average behind the plate, and prior to the injury had a great throwing arm. I just think Joseph is better. I think Jospeh calls a much better game. Wieters bat is not good enough to supplant Jospeh's superior D, JMO.

Archived