The This Team IS Done, We are Dumb and Nothing can Fix it MEGA THREAD

MagicBird

There is a huge gap between being a solid player and the next Manny. The only position player we have with that potential is Schoop. Hope he's back soon.

I was using his name as a reference point. We still don't know what we have in Schoop offensively at this point. We are at least one bat short right now. I am not looking for Hardy and Jospeh to carry any load on offense, just don't be huge holes.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Manny didnt really impact with the bat, while playing in A or AA.

Most didn't think Schoop was an impact player, until he got the job last year and showed what he could do.

These statements are just dead wrong. Maybe the casual fan didn't think of them as prospects who could have an impact, but the Orioles certainly did.

These statements are just dead wrong. Maybe the casual fan didn't think of them as prospects who could have an impact, but the Orioles certainly did.

I'd guess that if you walked around OPACY on a game day asking people what they thought of Bundy or Harvey or Yastrzemski you'd get a lot of confused looks. A lot more confused looks than meaningful responses.

Manny didnt really impact with the bat, while playing in A or AA.

Most didn't think Schoop was an impact player, until he got the job last year and showed what he could do.

Age. Manny was 19 in AA. The youngest Baysox position player in 2014 was Glynn Davis who was 22. It is almost impossible to overstate the impact of age with regards to a prospect. Being an average AA player at 19 is like being a strong AA MVP candidate at 22.

Age. Manny was 19 in AA. The youngest Baysox position player in 2014 was Glynn Davis who was 22. It is almost impossible to overstate the impact of age with regards to a prospect. Being an average AA player at 19 is like being a strong AA MVP candidate at 22.

And Schoop reached AA at 20. The same year, he posted an .874 OPS in the Arizona Fall League.

We didn't get to the WS with them in 2014. Why do people assume that We will get their with the same crew.

My assumption was that resigning Cruz, Miller, and Markakis would result in a loss of about three or four wins at those positions for 2015. More down the line.

I'd guess that if you walked around OPACY on a game day asking people what they thought of Bundy, or Harvey, or Yastrzemski, you'd get a lot of confused looks. A lot more confused looks than meaningful responses.

And/or responses such as, "Why are you calling 'Carl' 'Mike'? And, what does he have to do with the Baltimore Orioles?" :noidea:

gpxgy8P.gif

On another note, shout out to islandecho for maybe the best post in board history. Posting a pic of your wife to prove you are not, in fact, Nestor Aparacio was the cherry on top of this amazing thread.

Very true and very funny, especially since IE didn't even know who Nestor was when I joked with him about it yesterday!

Is two good years from Cruz and perhaps a trip to the World Series worth it? We went all in by getting Miller for a prospect when we knew we probably had no chance of signing him. We wanted to win the World Series. Cruz might have three good years. The Hardy contract might turn out to be worse then the Cruz deal. We shall see. Every contract has risks and rewards.

How many games difference would Miller have made this season so far? I don't remember a ton of games that we were winning that the bullpen blew that having Miller would have changed.

Also, adding Cruz to this lineup but still having slumping players all around him would not be making much of a difference.

In my humble opinion. I know some will say having Cruz somehow makes everyone else magically better, but I don't buy that.

How many games difference would Miller have made this season so far? I don't remember a ton of games that we were winning that the bullpen blew that having Miller would have changed.

Also, adding Cruz to this lineup but still having slumping players all around him would not be making much of a difference.

In my humble opinion. I know some will say having Cruz somehow makes everyone else magically better, but I don't buy that.

If we had signed Cruz, Markakis and Miller and not signed Matusz, Snider, Hunter and De Aza. how would we be? We'd have a close to 140 M payroll, we'd have Cruz at DH(no Paredes) with an occasional LF appearance, Pearce and Lough splitting most of the time in LF, Markakis in RF hitting for for 50 points OPS less than the current RF mix, and Miller replacing Hunter in the pen. How many more games would we have won?

Reliever are a fickle bunch, they lose their mojo and even regain it back.

$12 million is a ton of money for a set up man.

What would his WAR be, as a setup man?

It was only .9 last season for the Orioles.

Archived