WAR inflation

Frobby

I was just perusing fangraphs and noticed that they are now valuing Nick Markakis' 2.5 WAR 2014 season at $18.9 mm. That $7.56 mm/WAR! I've usually assumed 1 WAR = $5-6 mm in doing rule of thumb valuations the last couple of years. It goes to show there has been a lot of salary inflation the last few years.

I was just perusing fangraphs and noticed that they are now valuing Nick Markakis' 2.5 WAR 2014 season at $18.9 mm. That $7.56 mm/WAR! I've usually assumed 1 WAR = $5-6 mm in doing rule of thumb valuations the last couple of years. It goes to show there has been a lot of salary inflation the last few years.

Are they showing everything in 2015 $/win now? I'd rather they show it in both then and now values. (Ok, just checked, and it appears to be updated to that year's values. For example, Melvin Mora's 6.2 win 2004 season is shown as $26.2M, or about $4M/win. 2002 appears to be using $3.8M/win)

Check it out. If you are a pitcher, one win equals 1 million or more. That means 10 wins, brings you 10 million.15 wins is good for 15 million.Of course many other factors are considered including age, WHIP, ERA and more. But look closely at salaries. Steve Barber would've gotten 20 million dollars for his 20 win season.

It doesn't work anything close to that.

Im not saying thats the criteria AT ALL.Im just paralleling the wins to the salary which is usually what they get.

If anything, they get more than $1 mm per win once they get to 15 wins or so, if they can do it with some consistency.

Archived