Road trip to Fenway....advice?

psychboy12

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looking to take my boys to Fenway for the series next month. Driving up from Baltimore, any suggestions on where to stay? Seems like hotels are pretty expensive in the city. Any seat a good seat? Looking to be cost effective!:D

Cheapest good hotel within two miles

http://www.hotels.com/hotel/details.html?q-room-0-adults=1&MGT=2&SYE=3&q-room-0-children=2&tab=description&q-room-0-child-1-age=15&YGF=14&ZSX=0&q-localised-check-out=06/25/15&q-localised-check-in=06/23/15&JHR=5&pa=1&hotel-id=257883&FPQ=4&WOD=2&q-room-0-child-0-age=15&WOE=4&ZSX=0&SYE=3&MGT=2&YGF=14&WOD=1&WOE=3&JHR=5USD&FPQ=4USD

Tickets from 35 bucks.

http://www.stubhub.com/boston-red-sox-tickets/red-sox-vs-orioles-6-23-2015-9150449/

Wrest advice...watch it on TV, Fenway is very over rated in my humble opinion.

Besides, the seats are very small and cramped AND EXPENSIVE!

If you have to go, the best view is in lower deck left field sections, that look in toward the action...good luck!

Hotel:

You can stay for much cheaper outside of the city. The best way to do this is to stay on I 90 (Mass Pike) There are a number of town outside the city.

Parking:

If you have taken the aforementioned hotel advice then you can take the T (light rail) into the city. There is a stop at Fenway and others further into the city. Parking is rough. Its never easy, rarely cheap and always a pain. You are going to be walking to get to the park. The prudential center has game priced parking, it is where we park when we go up, but it ain't easy. The walk into the park is nice, everyone parks along boylston street somewhere.

Seats:

There are not a lot of bad seats, just be wary of the usual warnings. Obstructed view will be obstructed (they have big posts). High traffic seats will quite literally have a walkway in front of them. Not so bad if you are an adult, but can be a pain for kids. Visitors side is 3rd base sie, you do get enough Orioles fans on that side to make you feel welcome.

THe park is old, but it is an interesting experience. I can see how its endearing for the Boston faithful, it would be a good home ballpark as everything is right on top of the field.

Hope this helps.

Check out the following: http://bestbaseballseats.com/bostonredsox.html

Make a note of Grandstand seats as described in the above link:

One historical feature of Fenway is the wooden seats which date back to the 1930's, and are used in the Grandstand sections 1-33. The seats are smaller than the modern ballpark seat (which aren't that big themselves), and not known for comfort. Large people will probably not enjoy sitting in these seats.

Smaller than the modern ballpark is a gross understatement; there built for people who top out at perhaps 5-5 or 5-6 and maybe 150lbs. You'll be wishing for the middle seat between 2 fat people on a coast to coast fight rather than ever have to sit in one of grandstand seats again. If you're not on the aisle it is impossible to get out of the row unless everyone stands and folds their seat back. If you're approaching 6ft or over your knees will spend the entire game jammed into the wooden seat in front of you. Quite frankly, you're better off with standing room tickets.

When my Dad was in the hospital at Boston General. We stayed in Braintree/Quincy area, the hotels run between 100-200 a night. There are subway stops in both areas, you just may have to drive to them or drive downtown. There is a Motel 6 across the street from the Braintree subway station. Getting across the street is interesting in the morning, since you have to walk through a fence opening and run across the road and climb over a 2 foot wall to get to the station. It wasn't the best place to stay, but we were just looking for a place to sleep, since we were at the hospital all day anyway. If you have little kids it may not be the best place to stay.

Go to Wrigley instead!

Much better environment, and friendlier fans and attendants.

I'll be there tomorrow, Go Nats (Yeah, you heard me Weams, the Nats are I. First place!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have to go, the best view is in lower deck left field sections, that look in toward the action...good luck!

Luke?

I would agree its overrated. Been there once. As a baseball fan its neat to see I guess, but old and out of date stuff is just that.

It is a nice atmosphere. Fans were really nice the times I have been to Fenway. i am not sure if they changed the seats but down the line on the third base side,I sat in very cramped seats. I am 6'2" and the seats were narrow and no leg room. Also old and hurt your backside. i am not sure if these seats have been upgraded. Take a seat cushion might help.

I've only been once, as a 9 year old 21 years ago. However, I distinctly remember and can therefore recommend that if you're anywhere close enough to be able to do so, take the T to the game. Boston from all accounts is not pleasant to drive in or get around, and the T was incredibly reliable and efficient, and I still remember that 21 years later.

I've only been once, as a 9 year old 21 years ago. However, I distinctly remember and can therefore recommend that if you're anywhere close enough to be able to do so, take the T to the game. Boston from all accounts is not pleasant to drive in or get around, and the T was incredibly reliable and efficient, and I still remember that 21 years later.

Thanks!

Looking to take my boys to Fenway for the series next month. Driving up from Baltimore, any suggestions on where to stay? Seems like hotels are pretty expensive in the city. Any seat a good seat? Looking to be cost effective!:D

Hi psychboy--did you get tix yet? If you're looking to get the best seats at reasonable prices, my advice is to go for bleachers. If you're able to get first 10 rows of Sections 34-36, you'll be in cf / right-center with a nice view of the field and right on top of Adam Jones... First 15-20 rows of sections 40-43 in RF bleachers are also great value. I'd avoid RF grandstand... usuallly more expensive than bleachers but almost always worse views.

Good luck!

Archived