This Team Will Be Just Fine

Jonesy10

Your definition of journeyman and mine, might be different.

Mine, the player plays at nearly the league minimum and keeps hanging out, in order to get his pension years in.

Guys that move around because of free agency and the almighty dollar are not truly journeyman, at least, not in my opinion.

Who cares what the definition is? The point was that some guy a page or two ago more-or-less said that a team with non-stellar players at several key spots basically can't win. Insert whatever phrase you and wildcard prefer for that mass of players better than an average AAA guy through a little better than MLB replacement level.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who cares what the definition is? The point was that some guy a page or two ago more-or-less said that a team with non-stellar players at several key spots basically can't win. Insert whatever phrase you and wildcard prefer for that mass of players better than an average AAA guy through a little better than MLB replacement level.

Last year they won with a journeyman minor league catcher, the utility bench guy at third, a rookie at 2nd.

That's splitting hairs. The difference between Flaherty and a dozen other guys who've bounced all over professional baseball is small. At the least he fits the mold of a journeyman, and when he hits arbitration there will be an ever-increasing chance of him packing his bags.

I got it. You are not trying to be correct while making your point. You are just making your point.

A Journey man can not stay with the same organization. He's got to be a traveling man!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/itKz7wjc7ys" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You mean journeymen like Nate McLouth, Wilson Betemit, Lew Ford, Steve Pearce, Nick Johnson, Mark Reynolds, Steve Tolleson, Robert Andino, Ryan Flaherty, Omar Quintanilla? That sure sounds like a lineup doomed to last place.

DD has the old (loser's) gambler's theory of compiling a bunch of guys like this and a few of them working out this year. Well this year we crapped out. "There's no way that Snider, Young, Pearce, Lough, De Aza will all fail during the same year. They're due." Now this year has happened. The luck ran out. And it's time to go out and fix this problem instead of wasting this year. I'll forgive DD for this offseason if he makes some moves to fix his mistake.

DD has the old (loser's) gambler's theory of compiling a bunch of guys like this and a few of them working out this year. Well this year we crapped out. "There's no way that Snider, Young, Pearce, Lough, De Aza will all fail during the same year. They're due." Now this year has happened. The luck ran out. And it's time to go out and fix this problem instead of wasting this year. I'll forgive DD for this offseason if he makes some moves to fix his mistake.

You really wouldn't have liked Earl's teams from about 1976-82. They had some homegrown talent that was part of the core, but mostly it was a bunch of role players put into situations where their strengths complemented each other and they won about 90 games a year. They lost a ton of key free agents almost annually. Fixtures on those teams like Benny Ayala couldn't get out of bad team's minor league systems.

Don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell Schoop is back with the club this year. Think if he does try coming back, he has a setback and has surgery. You don't screw around with knees.

It's a PCL strain, right? It's not like he has a complete ACL tear. There are different types of knee issues of varying severity.

Archived