2015 7th (223) - Gray Fenter - RHP - West Memphis Senior HS (AR)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Fenter could turn out to be an overslot signing. Slot amount for that pick is $178,300.</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="
">June 9, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ya think, Steve?

Wow, he's 19 1/2 already so I have to imagine he might be signable. Nice little arm to get with the 7th pick. I like the fact that Rajsich is not afraid to go after the 6-1, 6-2 pitcher instead of always going for those 6-4, 6-5 projection guys. Nothing wrong with them, but I just feel like they seem to have more command and injuries problems.

Since it's looking like they've made significant savings just from Flaa and Mountcastle, how much can we expect it to cost to get Fenter signed? Can we get any further scouting report on him? Comp maybe? Thanks to those who know this stuff and share it on here.

Word was Fenter wanted first-day money, so I'd say he'd probably need at least a million. And he could go to college anyway.

I don't have the film in front of me, but from what I've seen, the big thing with Fenter is his fastball. He's got great velocity and good movement. That alone makes him an interesting prospect. His secondaries are all works in progress, but they show some potential. He's certainly a better prospect than your typical seventh-rounder.

Word was Fenter wanted first-day money, so I'd say he'd probably need at least a million. And he could go to college anyway.

I don't have the film in front of me, but from what I've seen, the big thing with Fenter is his fastball. He's got great velocity and good movement. That alone makes him an interesting prospect. His secondaries are all works in progress, but they show some potential. He's certainly a better prospect than your typical seventh-rounder.

Between Mountcastle and Flaa they have already saved $634,500. I assume that 10th round pick Reid Love will be signing for $10k as a college senior, so that would save another $139,700. Add in Fenter's slot value and you can offer him $952,500 if everyone else signs for slot value. That would be between the 64th and 65th pick's slot value. The wiggle room between the Orioles total slot value and 105 percent (after which draft picks are forfeited) is $342,520.

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised to see them save a little money on Cleavinger as well, as the second round seemed like a bit of a reach on him.

Archived