It's interesting that nobody has tested Wieters' arm yet

Frobby

Three games, and nobody has attempted a steal. His arm certainly looked sharp on that bunt play where he threw the lead runner out at 3B, and I was impressed with how quickly he got out from behind the plate and got to that ball.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Three games, and nobody has attempted a steal. His arm certainly looked sharp on that bunt play where he threw the lead runner out at 3B, and I was impressed with how quickly he got out from behind the plate and got to that ball.

Good point, and hadn't thought about it.

I wonder if Boston had scouted Wieters out at Bowie while he was rehabbing and they saw that his arm is fine.

Good point, and hadn't thought about it.

I wonder if Boston had scouted Wieters out at Bowie while he was rehabbing and they saw that his arm is fine.

Well, they are not a big basestealing team, and it's not like they had tons of runners on base last night.

JMHO They will eventually, I too was impressed with the bunt play.

I have noticed. And I'm more than surprised that somebody hasn't. I have no reason to doubt the footwork and quickness have fully returned. But if I were an opposing manager, I would make him prove his throwing has returned to the elite level he showed prior to TJ, probably a few times. And, yes TouchThemAll, some manager will be testing Wieters sooner than later.

Good point.

Also, when opponents see things like what Wieters did last night (throwing the lead runner out at 3rd base late in the game of a crucial situation), THAT may give them reason to not necessarily assume that he has lost something in his arm since the surgery and/or that he is not completely recovered and 100% since the surgery.

I was impressed how Britton and Wieters focused on the batter last night with 2 outs in the 9th and the guy at first basically standing on second base. Damn that was a huge lead!

It was, but the key was the out, getting that game over, and the fat lady can sign the ending song. :)

Boston is 10th in steals in the AL but 3rd in caught stealing, Cleveland is 7th in steals and 5th in caught stealing. Not exactly speed demons to begin with, and perhaps reputation precedes Wieters a bit. Bet your bottom dollar though that if Gardner gets on base over the weekend he'll try for it.

Archived