Drum beat a little louder for Cubs deal

wildcard

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As can be expected, O's fans overvalue Roberts and Cubs fans overvalue their prospects. However, before making random statements regarding farm teams, it would be nice to actually know where the rank. The Cubs are ranked right in the middle of farm teams. One ranking ahs them 15 and the oterh 16th. Not exactly the bottom 5 or 10. IMO there is now way Roberts brings back 3 top 10, a 4th that is the 13th best prospect AND a starting SS. I expect the O's fans to overvalue Roberts, but that is not even close to fair.

Has Theriot been offered? I thought it was Cedeno. With the Cubs professed interest in Lopez, it doesn't even look certain that Cedeno will make the team, much less start. Personally, I don't get why Lou is so down on Cedeno, but it is what it is. In any case, your stressing that the offer includes a ML starting shortstop is a stretch, to say the least.

He would probably start for Baltimore, given the total absence of middle infield talent the Orioles would have if they traded Roberts, but the Orioles are not looking to merely slightly improve upon what we have. That is not the way to rebuild.

The problem is roberts wants to be traded. Go read the article in the Sun today. I think he makes it clear he wants to play for a winner.

Harry, please advise me of any athlete that does not want to play for a winner. Roberts is not pouting, and will play his best whether he is traded or remains in Baltimore. I think he understandably would like for the situation to be behind him, one way or the other. Brian Roberts is not demanding to be traded.

Has Theriot been offered? I thought it was Cedeno. With the Cubs professed interest in Lopez, it doesn't even look certain that Cedeno will make the team, much less start. Personally, I don't get why Lou is so down on Cedeno, but it is what it is. In any case, your stressing that the offer includes a ML starting shortstop is a stretch, to say the least.

He would probably start for Baltimore, given the total absence of middle infield talent the Orioles would have if they traded Roberts, but the Orioles are not looking to merely slightly improve upon what we have. That is not the way to rebuild.

I don't think the Cubs have professed interest in Lopez. The story was from a Washington paper and it was 2nd or 3rd hand at best. Cedeno had a double and bases loaded walk today in his two plate appearances. He has been very hot since returning from a sore hamstring. I wouldn't be surprised if he has played his way onto the team.

I don't think the Cubs have professed interest in Lopez. The story was from a Washington paper and it was 2nd or 3rd hand at best. Cedeno had a double and bases loaded walk today in his two plate appearances. He has been very hot since returning from a sore hamstring. I wouldn't be surprised if he has played his way onto the team.

Ballgame, the Lopez rumors have been brought up on MLB Trade Rumors (you know, the site run by the Cub fan) and brought up in this thread by several Cub fans. It certainly makes no sense to me, as I can't believe they would start Lopez over DeRosa, much less Roberts. The Nats seem to be choosing Guzman and Belliard over Lopez.

Clearly, though, if they do trade for Lopez, Cedeno would be out. There is little doubt that Cedeno definitely is not a favorite of Piniella's.

Harry, please advise me of any athlete that does not want to play for a winner. Roberts is not pouting, and will play his best whether he is traded or remains in Baltimore. I think he understandably would like for the situation to be behind him, one way or the other. Brian Roberts is not demanding to be traded.
By him saying at some point and time he wants to play for a winner what does that tell you. The Orioles are not going to contend for 3 to 5 years by most estimates I have seen. There is no way he would sign an extension at this point and time either. I think a fair deal should be worked out we will find out soon. By the way the Orioles had 3 scouts at the Cubs game today. If a deal of Marquis Cedeno,Veal Ceda Gallagher can't get it done then nothing will. I like Roberts and he would really help the Cubs and what ever Hendry ends up giving to the Orioles I will be fine with it. The only guy I think is untouchable is Pie. As the season goes on and he is hearing trade rumors every week do you think that is going to make him happy let alone losing.

Ballgame, the Lopez rumors have been brought up on MLB Trade Rumors (you know, the site run by the Cub fan) and brought up in this thread by several Cub fans. It certainly makes no sense to me, as I can't believe they would start Lopez over DeRosa, much less Roberts. The Nats seem to be choosing Guzman and Belliard over Lopez.

Clearly, though, if they do trade for Lopez, Cedeno would be out. There is little doubt that Cedeno definitely is not a favorite of Piniella's.

Lou praised Cedeno today he is playing well. I believe he is hitting around 330 now. Here is a website with propects rankings that have alot of Orioles and Cubs. mlb-rumors.blogspot.com

By him saying at some point and time he wants to play for a winner what does that tell you. The Orioles are not going to contend for 3 to 5 years by most estimates I have seen. There is no way he would sign an extension at this point and time either. I think a fair deal should be worked out we will find out soon. By the way the Orioles had 3 scouts at the Cubs game today. If a deal of Marquis Cedeno,Veal Ceda Gallagher can't get it done then nothing will. I like Roberts and he would really help the Cubs and what ever Hendry ends up giving to the Orioles I will be fine with it. The only guy I think is untouchable is Pie. As the season goes on and he is hearing trade rumors every week do you think that is going to make him happy let alone losing.

Thanks for the info about the scouts. It makes me more confident that a deal will get done.

The Nats have made it known that he is available. The Cubs may deal Cedeno. They are looking to see if Lopez might fill that hole. But I do not think the trade for Lopez and drop Cedeno. Ronny has played really well the last couple of weeks.

BTW the Lopez rumor started in Washington not in Chicago.

Cintron is dinged up now too, so they are making sure in the case of a Cedeno trade that they have explored their alternatives.

Lou praised Cedeno today he is playing well. I believe he is hitting around 330 now. Here is a website with propects rankings that have alot of Orioles and Cubs. mlb-rumors.blogspot.com

Sorry, Harry, but rankings involving Cubs on that particular site can hardly be considered.

Lou Piniella is a strong and fiery field manager. He reminds me in some respects of Earl Weaver. I have always liked Lou. He picks his favorites, though, and sometimes wears his emotions on his sleeve. He has made his feelings toward both Cedeno and Marquis known, and this has no-doubt caused Hendry some headaches. Lou has certainly tried to smooth over both of those situations, but the horses had already gotten out of the barn, I'm afraid.

You, I'm sure, know better than I what Piniella's dislike for Cedeno is all about, but the situation is there, pure and simple.

The Nats have made it known that he is available. The Cubs may deal Cedeno. They are looking to see if Lopez might fill that hole. But I do not think the trade for Lopez and drop Cedeno. Ronny has played really well the last couple of weeks.

BTW the Lopez rumor started in Washington not in Chicago.

Cintron is dinged up now too, so they are making sure in the case of a Cedeno trade that they have explored their alternatives.

As I said, Bloop, it is Cub fans that brought up the Lopez rumors in this thread, saying that if the Cubs traded for Lopez, they would not be trading for Roberts. Seems bizarre to me, as well. If they did do that, there would be no room for Cedeno. Please understand the context of my posts was in response to other Cub fans' posts. Lopez doesn't make sense for the Cubs to me, either, as things stand now.

The problem is roberts wants to be traded. Go read the article in the Sun today. I think he makes it clear he wants to play for a winner.

I think that the article in the sun is a little missleading. Of course all players want to win (thats obvious). The difference is if you asked roberts do you want to win THIS year with another team, or win here later if it was a gaurenteed thing, I think he would want to win here. Him wanting to win doesn't mean he WANTS to be traded, he simply wants to win.

Archived