• 1. Chen, 2. Wieters, 3. Davis
    • 1. Davis, 2. Chen, 3. Wieters
    • 1. Davis, 2. Wieters, 3. Chen
    • 1. Wieters, 2. Chen, 3. Davis
    • 1. Wieters, 2. Davis, 3. Chen

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would definitely choose Davis of the two .... we won't keep either so we will get picks and look to other places for power. I would still try to acquire Justin Upton and I would try to sign him this off-season as well.

I'd rather blow a #1 and throw a lot of money at Heyward.

I would definitely choose Davis of the two .... we won't keep either so we will get picks and look to other places for power. I would still try to acquire Justin Upton and I would try to sign him this off-season as well.

The big market teams will sign all three of Upton, Davis and Weiters. They can overpay for potential production, we can't.

Honestly, how much money are these guys gonna really get? They will have a draft pick attached and they both have warts. I'm not saying we will resign them, but I don't think they will get the deals they want. I think Chen is the least singable to the os because I think he'll easily get a deal based on his mlb youth and his improving era.

Heyward would be a great add to this lineup. I just don't like the price tag that will be attached to him. I also feel like his greatest strength (Plus D) would be neutralized playing his home games at Camden Yards.

I don't think the rest of MLB thinks as highly of Davis or Chen (or O'Day) as Orioles fans do.

Davis and Chen will definitely decline their QO's and sign LT deals with good AAV. In some cases, I believe that some O's fans (particularly on the OH) swing the pendulum way too far in the other direction in an attempt to be "objective."

Heyward and Jones locking down CF/COF for however many years with numerous options to fill the other COF spot would be quite an OF.

Edit - with 2016 being his age-26 season, I don't foresee a scenario in which Heyward doesn't sign something like 7/150 at least (become a FA again going into age 33 season).

Let 'em walk.

Davis is probably a 2-3 win player going forward. He'll turn 30 at the start of next year. Some club is going to give him a 6 year deal worth at least $90-$100m. I don't think that club should be the Orioles.

Wieters is a career 100 OPS+ catcher that will be 30 at the start of next season. The worst possible thing to happen w/ Wieters happened this year: he started late, he slumped for awhile...and unless he rebounds it's a situation where the O's got very little production in a walk year. He'll at least get Brian McCann money.

Between Matusz, Hunter, Wieters, Davis, Chen and De Aza, etc. off the books the O's should have $40m+ of wiggle room next year. They should use that money on the following:

Jason Heyward (will be 26 at the start of next season). I feel you have to be ready to at least go 6-8 years on him. Probably going to be $15m/year. So $90m-$120m. Lock up Manny long term. I think they'll have to roll the dice with someone like Pearce for 2 years at 1B unless they really believe Christian Walker can legitimately contribute (I don't) in a meaningful way. The FA class at 1B is really, really bad. 3B, SS, 2B and 1B as well as CF and RF are set.

That remains SP and a corner OF spot. I'm not completely sold on Dariel Alvarez. But a club can try the revolving door at a corner OF spot if their 2 other spots are locked up (Jones, Alvarez). So I'd be ok with them trying Alvarez, Snider, etc. there.

So for SP? A lot of ridiculously out of price range guys (Price, Greinke). Cueto is only making $10m this year, but he'll get at least $15m a year for 5. I don't see the O's going that route.

So, I don't know. Maybe they resign Chen. That's not a terrible idea at his age.

Archived