Manny is in the Home Run Derby

AlbionHero

Rule change due to weather

Great American Ball Park joined the rest of this city in getting soaked by afternoon showers Monday, but Major League Baseball ensured the show would go on at 8 p.m. ET on ESPN and MLB.com, as originally scheduled, albeit with a truncated version of the previously announced format, in an effort to complete the event before more rain overtakes it.

The five-minute time limit per batter per round was shortened to four minutes, a previously announced pause of the clock for home runs in the final minute was eliminated and a previously announced time extension for home runs exceeding 475 feet was eliminated and shortened to 425.

source - Orioles.com

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like the new format, but I can tell already it is a blessing that there is a rain threat that forced them to reduce it to 4 minute rounds. These guys are going to be gassed. I think they need to reduce it to 3 minutes in the future

It mite end up being better overall, but it wont compare to all those Homers Josh Hamilton hit.

The camera angles are HORRIBLE

Agreed they need to just standardize the camera angle so you can at least get perspective on how the ball is hit. Changing up the angle, combined with the rapid fire format (which I like) is a bit too disorienting.

That said, I definitely like this format more than the old format.

Manny had a great showing, but he is going to get lapped here by Pederson...which I'm okay with. Show well, have some fun.

Yes, I've heard. Would love to go. My point was definitely for TV viewership. New format seems better suited for TV, but Id imagine it is better in person too.

I went when the All Star game was in Baltimore. Tickets were $10 back then. One of the best sporting events Ive ever been too. Kinda sucked when it ended.

Archived