My annual trip to Frederick

glenn__davis

Took on a new experience this year. My boys do cub scouts. Saturday night we got to go to the Keys game, then camp out in the outfield afterwards while The Lego Movie was shown on the big screen.

A few very quick observations about the game....

The Keys lost 3-2 on a bases loaded walk in the 10th inning. Intentionally walked the guy in front of him to load the bases. Grumble grumble.

Josh Hart got CS to end the game. He has good speed but got a pretty terrible jump.

Sisco didn't disappoint, going 2-4 with a 2B and a walk. The 2B was an opposite filed line drive down the line.

Conor Bierfeldt made two outstanding plays in right field. My opinion of him was that his fielding was subpar but he was certainly good last night.

Jay Gonzalez dropped a line drive in OF. Ball was hit hard but was pretty much right to him.

Gonzalez also hit an inside-the-park homerun (because the LF injured himself while trying to catch the ball) but was called out on the single worst call I've ever seen at a professional baseball game. And I'm not prone to hyperbole. It was not close.

One of the Keys players got picked off of second twice. At least I'm pretty sure it was the same guy. I think it was Tanner Witt but not sure. Not going to make it to the big leagues that way.

Anyway, a good time was had by all. Love minor league baseball.

That home plate call by the umpire was, in a word....horrifying. The umpiring was beyond poor and play sloppy. I was surprised to see a 35 year-old Denny Bautista on Salem's roster!

I'm so glad someone else saw that play. My goodness. I know umpiring is not as easy at it looks, but we were all dumbfounded that he was called out.

Archived