Wild Idea: Offer O'Day the QO

Aristotelian

With all the money the Os are freeing up this is exactly the type of chance they should be taking.

Maybe they want to save their money. Maybe they do not think that cash will be readily available to the club over the next 36 months.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, the Yankees QO'd Robertson last year and he turned it down to get 4/$46 mm from the White Sox. I believe he is the only reliever who has received a QO.

Frankly, though, I don't see it. I think O'Day would be crazy to turn down a QO, and I don't want to pay >$15 mm for a setup man no matter how good he is. By the way, a QO was worth $15.3 mm last year (an increase of $1.2 mm from the previous year) and I'd guess it will be over $16 mm this year and it won't shock me if it reaches $17 mm.

IIRC, the Yankees actually wanted Robertson to accept the QO. Or at least I read that somewhere. Of course the stated motive was to keep the contract short but then they went and signed Miller long term.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I would give him a QO. If he takes it we could always just eat half the contract and trade him for a B prospect. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

With all the money coming off the books next year, I think it's worth the gamble.

I would give him a QO. If he takes it we could always just eat half the contract and trade him for a B prospect. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

With all the money coming off the books next year, I think it's worth the gamble.

The going rate for a blue chip pitching prospect is 10 million. I think eight for a "B” would be an overpay.

I think it's guaranteed that O'Day would accept a QO, which means the O's can't make him one.

I think this is a flaw in the current FA compensation system; the O's shouldn't have to lose a talented player with no compensation just because he's not quite valuable enough to offer him 1 year for $15-16 M. There should be two tiers of qualifying offer, one set to the current level and one set to roughly half the current level (say $8 M). If a player turns down the $8M offer then you would get a comp pick at the end of the 3rd round (say), and the signing team would give up a 3rd round pick rather than a first round pick.

I think it's guaranteed that O'Day would accept a QO, which means the O's can't make him one.

I think this is a flaw in the current FA compensation system; the O's shouldn't have to lose a talented player with no compensation just because he's not quite valuable enough to offer him 1 year for $15-16 M. There should be two tiers of qualifying offer, one set to the current level and one set to roughly half the current level (say $8 M). If a player turns down the $8M offer then you would get a comp pick at the end of the 3rd round (say), and the signing team would give up a 3rd round pick rather than a first round pick.

That was pretty much the system they changed from. It killed guys like O'Day in the FA market.

O'Day would likely take the QO and that would be bad news for the O's. Between Wright, Wilson, Davies, Bundy...I think another setup man will reveal himself.
Why would that be bad news? Unless you are of the school of thought that quality set-up en grow on trees. Relievers with O'Day's skills are very valuable and O's management should do what it can to resign him to a reasonable contract according to market values.

Why would that be bad news? Unless you are of the school of thought that quality set-up en grow on trees. Relievers with O'Day's skills are very valuable and O's management should do what it can to resign him to a reasonable contract according to market values.

The problem with market deals is they often assume negative value on the back end.

ODay would be the most high paid reliever in baseball if he took the QO.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

The QO is certainly steep for a reliever, but at 1 year I'm inclined to offer it to him.

O'Day is ridiculously good, and relievers are more risky long term then other options.

O'Day as an Oriole at $17 million for 2016 is > then O'Day signed at 4/46 (Roberston deal).

Best option is to sign im for 2 or 3 years at $7-10 million per year. Not sure thats possible.

Elizabet Prann (O'day's wife) is a reporter for the Fox News Channel, based in the Fox News Washington, D.C. bureau. So I'm assuming he's going to want to stay close to DC. So his options are Baltimore or the gnats. And I believe they just had a child recently. I'm going to be mad if the nats outspend us for him. With the huge MASN % advantage they have there is no reason they cant.

Elizabet Prann (O'day's wife) is a reporter for the Fox News Channel, based in the Fox News Washington, D.C. bureau. So I'm assuming he's going to want to stay close to DC. So his options are Baltimore or the gnats. And I believe they just had a child recently. I'm going to be mad if the nats outspend us for him. With the huge MASN % advantage they have there is no reason they cant.

I don't think it would be hard for her to get a transfer to say New York, LA, or Boston.

Archived