Trade Watch (It starts)

weams

Put me down as a fan that would be happy to make the playoffs every year with a 10% chance to win it all. To me, the goal of the 162 game season is to make the playoffs. If we go every year, every once and a while we will catch fire and move on to the WS. The Yankees made the post season in like 17 of 18 seasons, they didn't win the WS every year, but they gave themselves a shot.

If we are a wildcard team each of the next 10 years..I think we could win the WS in one of those seasons.

You are my clone.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Butler at 1B is like having David Ortiz at 1B. Butler had one tool, hitting. That tool is gone.

Butler is has a career .993 fielding % at 1B. He's also has better numbers hitting as Flaherty and Parmelee combined. So with the bat, he's equal to two of the players we keep tossing out to 1b so Davis can give us Offense power COF spot. That means we can DFA Parmelee and bring up another bat as well. It gives the Orioles roster flexibility.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Want to work at <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/SABR?src=hash">#SABR</a>? We've got a job opening in our Phoenix office: <a href="http://t.co/zjbLFXHeBc">http://t.co/zjbLFXHeBc</a></p>— sabr (@sabr) <a href="

">July 29, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Pretty sure we can find a replacement level first baseman (if not below) for less than 11.6 million dollars.

We have yet to find that. Flaherty and Parmalee together haven't put up the numbers Bulter has. There is only 3 real 1Bs in Free Agency next year.. Napoli, Davis, and Baker.. Davis and Baker are Boras clients. Napoli and Baker are 33 years or older. You could count Pearce if you want but you seriously think he could fill that hole at 1B with some decent numbers?

So Orioles have to sign someone, Wieters or Davis.. have them play 1B again.. and they aren't gonna be $11.6m.

Flaherty could put up a 690 OPS and field a much better 1B.

Flaherty hasn't done that yet. He's a career .653. Bulter on the other hand .799/.800. Oh and lets not forget Butler has a career .353 OBP, Flaherty is career .286. Butler walks about 60 times a year. Flaherty 32 times in 162 games. Fact of the matter is Flaherty is a utility guy, not a full time player.

@Buster_ESPN: Rival evaluators think SD could have flurry of deals in next 48 HRs, or high volume deals, w/impending FAs--Upton, Kennedy, Benoit, Venable.

I feel like the phillies and padres are delusional on what they can get in return.

Yeah, what about him? He's an excellent 1Bman! Probably the best we have.

And he slash is this.. .215/.255/.441/.696...

Sorry, Orioles are losing either at 1st or COF depending on where Davis is. So if Davis is gonna be in RF.. O's need a 1b that can bring a career .800 OPS, Walks, and can still field very well (career .993%).

I dont even see a spot for him on the team. I assume he joins Wilson, Webb, League, Kemp, and others that are being paid more not to play for the team than TB is paying their 25 to play for them.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

It's hard to imagine the Dodgers will have any use for Morse.

I used to think pretty highly of him and at one point hoped the O's would go after him. I have seen Morse bat half a dozen or so times this season, and he looks as helpless as any established ML hitter I can recall. His decline from last year to this year is quite steep -- I wonder whether there's a physical problem (he's 33). Maybe eyesight or something.

Billy Butler is a scrub on a bad contract. End of discussion. Can we get back to trade rumors in this thread? I find having all that info in one thread useful. Reading about Billy Butler makes me just uncontrollably laugh and I can't read the other stuff in this thread.

Butler will be 30 next season and hasn't been decent since 2013.

And as I stated, he's a short term solution until the O's minor league guys are ready. I fully expect Butler to be traded by 2017. All I am looking for is the rest of this year to provide some OBP and basically help us cut guys that have no business in a playoff run (Parmalee). Butler has been there (last year) he knows what needs to be done in this position. So that's how I see it. He's a short term solution.. next 12 months. Which will cost us around $11.6m over that period. Next year, another team will need his services. Trade and get some prospects back.. and hell maybe Butler rips it in Baltimore.

@jaysonst: Teams speaking with the #Padres say they?re about to get ?super-active? & think they?re positioning themselves to make a ?huge deal.?

@jaysonst: #Padres flooding pitching market with controllable starters (Shields, Cashner, Ross). Could potentially impact #Phillies? leverage on Hamels

This seems like a blockbuster with cubs...I bet Castro and Baez are involved

Good news. The more players available the better. I'm stickiing to my guns that Lind and Parra will be the best fits for us in terms of value and what we have to give up.

Billy Butler is a scrub on a bad contract. End of discussion. Can we get back to trade rumors in this thread? I find having all that info in one thread useful. Reading about Billy Butler makes me just uncontrollably laugh and I can't read the other stuff in this thread.

Parmalee and Flaherty are BELOW REPLACEMENT RIGHT NOW at 1B. So while you think it's a bad deal. I want to get to the playoffs and Parmalee and Flaherty at 1st isn't gonna do it. Orioles aren't getting Upton, CarGo or whoever. So better to upgrade at 1st, leave Davis in RF and bring up Alvarez.. it's a move that doesn't kill us.

Archived