It's Time to Promote Trey Mancini

sportsfan8703

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="ht" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/NorfolkTides">@NorfolkTides</a> lineup @ Durham 8/13

CF Borbon

2B Navarro

1B Walker

RF Alvarez

LF Halton

3B Almanzar

C Perez

DH Schoop

SS Janish

P Buschmann</p>— Pete Michaud (@TidesRadioVoice) <a href="

">August 13, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="ht" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/NorfolkTides">@NorfolkTides</a> lineup @ Durham 8/13

CF Borbon

2B Navarro

1B Walker

RF Alvarez

LF Halton

3B Almanzar

C Perez

DH Schoop

SS Janish

P Buschmann</p>— Pete Michaud (@TidesRadioVoice) <a href="

Urrieta has been hot and he is missing from the lineup?

CF Borbon

2B Navarro

1B Walker

RF Alvarez

LF Halton

3B Almanzar

C Perez

DH Schoop

SS Janish

P Buschmann</p>? Pete Michaud (@TidesRadioVoice) <a href="

Schoop? Why? And Urrutia is not there. Are we to assume he is being called up tomorrow?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Trey Mancini extends his hitting streak to 13 games with a 2-run homer in the bottom of the 1st to give the Baysox a 2-0 lead over Richmond</p>— Bowie Baysox (@BowieBaysox) <a href="

This kid can rake. What have we to lose? He's a big boy, 6'4 220. We will likely need a 1B next year and he could, with opportunities be a breath of fresh air. He could also be a mistake for bringing him up too soon. But again, what do we REALLY have to lose? Lets go! ON TREY!

I hope he can shock the world when he time is right.

And he hits a dinger. I sure hope Buck or DD is there watching. I know Clevenger and Urrutia are getting the call up, but why not this guy too.

Option Lake

DFA Reimold

DFA Lough

They can't do any worse than those three. Parra is the back up CF.

Machado 3B

Parra LF

Jones CF

Davis RF

Schoop 2B

Clevenger C or Joseph

Hardy SS

Urrutia DH

Mancini 1B

Woah, you're not sure you would even give him AAA Ab's. Laughable.

My point is I wouldn't force it. I would think he starts out at AAA next year. This idea reminds me of years ago when the second one of our pitchers had any minor league success at AA people wanted them rushed to the big leagues. Let the kid grow on his timeline and don't rush him up here just because he is hitting well at AA.

I generally dislike promotions straight from AA to the majors, though it has worked a few times. But Mancini has been hot enough long enough where I'd be OK I'd be OK with it. Don't think it's happening right now, though. Maybe at roster expansion time.

I generally dislike promotions straight from AA to the majors, though it has worked a few times. But Mancini has been hot enough long enough where I'd be OK I'd be OK with it. Don't think it's happening right now, though. Maybe at roster expansion time.

I am with you on this one. I would not be adverse to seeing what Mancini can do once the rosters expand. I do think we all should somewhat temper our expectations with Mancini. While scouting reports are not the end all be all and there are examples of guys who have far exceeded what their scouting reports predicted they would be, I also think you can't completely ignore them. The biggest knock on Mancini seems to be bat speed/long swing. There have been guy who produce very well at the AA level or below who see that production drop precipitously at higher levels when their bat speed is more exposed.

What he has done though is impressive and I really hope he can continue to produce. Nothing wrong with giving him a shot once the rosters expand.

I am with you on this one. I would not be adverse to seeing what Mancini can do once the rosters expand. I do think we all should somewhat temper our expectations with Mancini. While scouting reports are not the end all be all and there are examples of guys who have far exceeded what their scouting reports predicted they would be, I also think you can't completely ignore them. The biggest knock on Mancini seems to be bat speed/long swing. There have been guy who produce very well at the AA level or below who see that production drop precipitously at higher levels when their bat speed is more exposed.

What he has done though is impressive and I really hope he can continue to produce. Nothing wrong with giving him a shot once the rosters expand.

Has Mike Trout exceeded his amateur scouting report?

My point is I wouldn't force it. I would think he starts out at AAA next year. This idea reminds me of years ago when the second one of our pitchers had any minor league success at AA people wanted them rushed to the big leagues. Let the kid grow on his timeline and don't rush him up here just because he is hitting well at AA.

I think that "rushing a prospect" is way overstated. Sure, sometimes you can get a pitcher in over his head, he tries to do too much, gets hurt, etc. But people and players in general are pretty darned resilient. If you call up a guy from AA and he goes 6-for-38 he's not going to get post traumatic stress disorder. He'll probably just learn from it. I'm all for calling up a player on as aggressive a schedule as is reasonable. Tell him he's good, we believe in you, you have the full support of the coaching staff, we're giving you hundreds of at bats not matter what, and you'll be fine.

The biggest knock on Mancini seems to be bat speed/long swing. There have been guy who produce very well at the AA level or below who see that production drop precipitously at higher levels when their bat speed is more exposed.

My somewhat uninformed opinion is that bat speed is overrated. (Cue a real scout telling me I'm an idiot - and I may well be on this topic.) All I know is that up until about 1960 there were all kinds of very successful MLB players who'd now be characterized as having terrible bat speed. Then the draft was instituted, scouting kind of got standardized, and before long everyone "knew" that bat speed was criteria 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 on a ten-point assessment of a young hitter.

I think that "rushing a prospect" is way overstated. Sure, sometimes you can get a pitcher in over his head, he tries to do too much, gets hurt, etc. But people and players in general are pretty darned resilient. If you call up a guy from AA and he goes 6-for-38 he's not going to get post traumatic stress disorder. He'll probably just learn from it. I'm all for calling up a player on as aggressive a schedule as is reasonable. Tell him he's good, we believe in you, you have the full support of the coaching staff, we're giving you hundreds of at bats not matter what, and you'll be fine.

I think some folks think that Jeff Fiorentino was destroyed by being rushed from A ball. Others think that was the only time in Jeff's life that he would have been a major leaguer.

Has Mike Trout exceeded his amateur scouting report?

Yea but lets not pretend that the two are comparable. One was a high school kid who was well thought of and a first round pick. The other is a college kid picked in the 8th round. Hopefully Mancini is the Orioles Goldschmidt and does exactly that.

I never said he would not end up exceeding his scouting report its certainly not unheard of but its also not unhead of for guys to have great numbers at AA or even AAA and not habe it translate at the next level.

I have seen the kid now 2x at Bowie and I like him. All i said was I will defer to the O's scouting staff to determine he is ready. Of course I love how out of everything I said you had to take the one negative thing that is true of and turn it into something it wasn't meant to be. I never said he would not make it, I simply pointed out that nothing he has done to this point makes him a sure thing or a better callup candidate than Henry.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Archived