It's Time to Promote Trey Mancini

sportsfan8703

Incidentally, Dan was asked how close Mancini is to being major league ready on the radio today. He reported that Craig Biggio told Dan in Cooperstown that he had seen Mancini play lot at Notre Dame (where Biggio's son plays) and really liked him, and thought he had power to RF and RCF that would play at 1B. However, I'd say Dan gave no indication at all that the O's were considering calling Mancini to the majors any time in 2015. He did talk about both Walker and Mancini being in the mix next year.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AAA just isn't a necessary stop for prospects anymore. A lot of prospects make the jump straight from AA. Scroll through any preseason top 100 list you want to, and there will be more players promoted from AA than from AAA. The mets just promoted Conforto from AA and he has nowhere near the numbers of Mancini.

Machado-never played in AAA

Givens- The O's don't consider it necessary to have him in AAA. 0IP at AAA

Schoop- played in AAA and it was a disaster. Injury and that ballpark stinks for hitters. 70 games played

Joseph- 44 games in AAA as opposed to 428 in Bowie

Gausman- has pitched 93 IP there. A majority of those just to get stretched out the last 2 seasons.

Wieters- played 39 games in AAA before getting called up.

If we look at just the hitters. Machado never played in AA. Joseph had a .643 OPS there. Schoop had a .697 and the switch hitting Jesus was even slowed down to a .860 OPS there. And Wieters was slumping pretty bad when we called him up. They had to get him out of that waste land. I'm 100% in support of our hitters getting to skip AAA.

AAA just isn't a necessary stop for prospects anymore. A lot of prospects make the jump straight from AA. Scroll through any preseason top 100 list you want to, and there will be more players promoted from AA than from AAA. The mets just promoted Conforto from AA and he has nowhere near the numbers of Mancini.

Schoop- played in AAA and it was a disaster. Injury and that ballpark stinks for hitters. 70 games played

Gausman- has pitched 93 IP there. A majority of those just to get stretched out the last 2 seasons.

If we look at just the hitters. Machado never played in AA. Joseph had a .643 OPS there. Schoop had a .697 and the switch hitting Jesus was even slowed down to a .860 OPS there. And Wieters was slumping pretty bad when we called him up. They had to get him out of that waste land. I'm 100% in support of our hitters getting to skip AAA.

Joseph was not thought of, realistically to have a major league career.

It took a major injury to Matt that earned him a promotion to the bigs as backup and the backup was not able to perform on a regular basis, and clearly they were surprised at what they had in Caleb.

It took a major injury to Matt that earned him a promotion to the bigs as backup and the backup was not able to perform on a regular basis, and clearly they were surprised at what they had in Caleb.

He was not even protected on the 40 man roster against rule 5 drafting.

Btw, should Brandon Snyder get any consideration? He has a higher OPS then Mancini. Did the light finally go on (or back on) for him?

No. He does not look like the player I saw a few years back even. Nice fellow though.

I don't think this is the case. At some point someone in the organization began to question why Joseph was playing 1B in the minors and not catching. When told he wasn't good they placed more emphasis on developing him. I think they had a pretty fair idea he'd be ok behind the plate when they called him up.

I don't think this is the case. At some point someone in the organization began to question why Joseph was playing 1B in the minors and not catching. When told he wasn't good they placed more emphasis on developing him. I think they had a pretty fair idea he'd be ok behind the plate when they called him up.

He had a heck of a spring training that year. A heck of a good one. John Russell and Don Werner loved him.

DD on the interview this morning said both Davis and Wieters had turned down long term offers from the Orioles. Sounded like no more offers will be made.

So, if Davis is gone, Mancini should be here in September when rosters expand.

Using Schoop as a success story is pretty poor considering his 67 OPS+ last year.

Joseph was a minor league lifer prior to being jettisoned up because of Matt's injury.

Machado was pretty much a can't miss prospect. Same w/ Wieters.

I'd argue calling Gausman up so fast has been detrimental to his progress as a starter.

I believe I posted when discussing Markakis that many quality prospects need 500-1200 at-bats at AA and above before being major league ready. That may still be true, but the game has changed somewhat. The Os have stacked AAA with potential MLB replacements and top prospects might would likely find the AAA competition very different than what existed five or ten years ago.

I don't know that Trey Mancini is a fully baked major league hitter. He probably isn't. But he is hitting the snot out of AA pitching with a very high average and a very high xbh %. In other words, AA pitchers are having a difficult time getting the ball past Mancini and he is not having a difficult time squaring up and hitting AA pitches very hard. He also appears to be making adjustments to lower his K% and may be in the process of improving his BB%. I would not make a definitive statement that he has conquered AA pitching, but he appears to be a good candidate to test whether he is ready for the next level. Coincidentally, the Os have a major need for offense on the major league roster and I think Mancini is as good a current option as we have in-house. In the absence of a more detailed inside assessment of Mancini and his mlb readiness, I think we should give the kid a shot.

Archived