Long Term Orioles Infield plans

Redskins Rick

I heard this the other day listening to 105.7

The guy was talking like 2017 season, he threw out the idea of moving Schoop to Third, with his cannon of an arm, moving Manny to SS, and moving Hardy to 2nd.

Intriguing for sure.

Manny to SS isn't something new and has been thrown out before.

I guess I always thought Hardy moving to third, like Cal did.

But, this has some merit to it, doesnt it?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The guy was talking like 2017 season, he threw out the idea of moving Schoop to Third, with his cannon of an arm, moving Manny to SS, and moving Hardy to 2nd.

Intriguing for sure.

Not wanting to take Manny of 3rd.

Intriguing for sure.

Dumb idea. You can't assume a great 2b would be a great 3b a great 3b would be a great ss and an aging ss would be a good 2b. Changing one guy is questionable, changing three sounds like chaos. This is real life, not a video game.

A few year ago, I toyed with the idea of JJ to 2B with Machado at SS, but Schoop changes the equation. Machado/Schoop DP is too big. And I agree with brianod's post above.

Many SS make the move to 3B as they get older. Well Machado would probably be worth more at SS, better range, great hitting for SS. I guess my question becomes, would JJ's bat play at 3B. Cal/Arod types were better hitters... I dunno.

Nor am I, but at some point, its probably going to happen.

Why would you guys be against moving him to SS? On one hand, I get if it aint broke etc... but do you think he wouldn't excel there?

EDIT: Reason being, wouldn't he be worth more at SS?

If Manny can play SS anywhere close to the level that he plays 3B (I think he can) then he should be moved there as soon as JJ Hardy is gone. Hit bat would be so much more valuable at that position.

In 2018 I would like to see Manny at SS, Schoop at 2B, and us sign/trade a player for third. It's possible that Chance Sisco could be converted to that position from Catcher so we will see.

Dumb idea. You can't assume a great 2b would be a great 3b a great 3b would be a great ss and an aging ss would be a good 2b. Changing one guy is questionable, changing three sounds like chaos. This is real life, not a video game.

Buck said it was easier for guys on the left side of the infield to move over and play on the right side of the diamond.

Schoop has a cannon and third base is not an unknown position, granted something you wouldn't do, unless you had time in ST to give him lots of rep there.

Old School was, if the guy was good enough to play SS, his glove could play anyway.

So not sure, this is a "dumb" ideal.

Maybe not a 5 star brilliant plan.

Why would you guys be against moving him to SS? On one hand, I get if it aint broke etc... but do you think he wouldn't excel there?

EDIT: Reason being, wouldn't he be worth more at SS?

my own opinion and why I am against him moving to SS.

His glove at third is elite and some could argue one of the best in the league right now.

my own opinion and why I am against him moving to SS.

His glove at third is elite and some could argue one of the best in the league right now.

Well right, but is the thought that he wouldn't field as well at SS? Or is it just if it aint broke, don't fix it?

Intriguing for sure.

I think it's somewhat unlikely that the O's have three excellent defenders, but if they'd just shuffle them around to other positions they'd get even better.

If Manny can play SS anywhere close to the level that he plays 3B (I think he can) then he should be moved there as soon as JJ Hardy is gone. Hit bat would be so much more valuable at that position.

In 2018 I would like to see Manny at SS, Schoop at 2B, and us sign/trade a player for third. It's possible that Chance Sisco could be converted to that position from Catcher so we will see.

It's very risky to assume that plus defensive players at one position will seamlessly transition to plus defensive players at another position.

I really wish the Orioles would have drafted Rendon instead of Bundy in 2011. They could have just let Hardy go after last year and had an infield of Rendon at 3B, Manny at short and Schoop at second. And with the money saved from the Hardy contract, they could go after a top bat this off-season to improve this offense. Oh well.

True, but at some point Hardy is going to be able to stay at a plus defender at SS.

When Hardy is no longer a good defensive shortstop he's no longer a major league regular. His bat won't support regular playing time at any other position. At least on a good team that doesn't want to carry a poor player.

Archived