Tyler Wilson and the 2015 Starting Staff....

EagleOriole

I think a good team would have lit him up.

Why is that people have to always try and dismiss or bury a good performance by one player or the team simply because of who they're playing? This is a still a team that's been in the playoffs the last three years that's been hit by injuries and underachieved relative to their talent, and that ballpark plays to their strengths far better than it does to ours. Bottom line, Wilson pitched really well, regardless of who he played.

Unless he has something funky in his delivery that makes it difficult for the hitter to pick up the pitch his fastball is on the slower side but it had some sink. That can work if he locates but location seemed off. Maybe the fourth inning is weighing too heavily on my mind but he looked like he was about to have a panic attack. He got lucky with two outstanding plays by Hardy and his sinker did the job to finish out but he looked primed for a major league melt down. If that had been Arod or Tex he was facing I think it'd have looked a lot worse. That's who we need to beat if we are going to win. I guess that's speculative and maybe pessimistic but I don't generally see myself as pessimistic so I didn't realize.

Edit: before anyone gets on my case about my slow fastball comment...I am well aware speed does not equate effectiveness. That's not what I'm saying, I'm talking about location which I perceived him to struggle with.

Unless he has something funky in his delivery that makes it difficult for the hitter to pick up the pitch his fastball is on the slower side but it had some sink. That can work if he locates but location seemed off. Maybe the fourth inning is weighing too heavily on my mind but he looked like he was about to have a panic attack. He got lucky with two outstanding plays by Hardy and his sinker did the job to finish out but he looked primed for a major league melt down. If that had been Arod or Tex he was facing I think it'd have looked a lot worse. That's who we need to beat if we are going to win. I guess that's speculative and maybe pessimistic but I don't generally see myself as pessimistic so I didn't realize.

Edit: before anyone gets on my case about my slow fastball comment...I am well aware speed does not equate effectiveness. That's not what I'm saying, I'm talking about location which I perceived him to struggle with.

Speed does equate to effectiveness, just not at a 1:1 ratio. A 93-96 mph fastball makes it easier to put batters away. Often, a 90-91 mph fastball located well gets fouled of and the batter lives for another pitch.

He was getting thumped pretty good last night its just everything was on the ground and our infield defense is full of wizards.

Not too confident his so-so stuff and very limited strikeout ability will play long-term in the bigs.

(feels like the 2nd coming of Berken.)

Agree 100% Wright and Wilson could be good back end pitchers (at least), and that would make Gonzales expendable. I doubt you trade Gonzales right now though, but who knows what will happen in the off season,

Givens? Wow, just wow. 95 heater and then with the same motion, and 83 slider. Just flat out filthy! I know it's way to early to even mention where Givens belongs longer term, but if he keeps it up I'd like to see Zach moved to starter or traded next year. If it ain't broke don't fix it, I know, but the value Zach could bring in return is making me drool (and not, it's not ramos fizz this time. :D). Givens though, what a great find he was!

Just curious, anyone know how high Givens was ranked by Baseball America? I'm a bit shocked at how few Orioles prospects are listed in their top 100 list, yet their AAA and AA teams are kicking butt right now. I know there are some older guys performing well, but Davies, Wilson, Wright andGivens aren't old and all seem like they can hold their own at this level. Funny how those rankings get made.

Speed does equate to effectiveness, just not at a 1:1 ratio. A 93-96 mph fastball makes it easier to put batters away. Often, a 90-91 mph fastball located well gets fouled of and the batter lives for another pitch.

As a general rule of thumb, you're correct. But those 97mph Hunter meatballs got out of the park quick and Jamie Moyer had modest success into his forties so it's not really one way or the other.

Just curious, anyone know how high Givens was ranked by Baseball America? I'm a bit shocked at how few Orioles prospects are listed in their top 100 list, yet their AAA and AA teams are kicking butt right now. I know there are some older guys performing well, but Davies, Wilson, Wright andGivens aren't old and all seem like they can hold their own at this level. Funny how those rankings get made.

This is a great point and probably worth a thread in itself. The O's system is constantly maligned, even on this board, and yet they are really dominating this year, anchored by strong pitching. Tides are 20 games over .500, Baysox are just a couple games behind, both in first place. Who knows whether this will translate into individual players capable of performing at the MLB level, but there has to be some talent there.

This is a great point and probably worth a thread in itself. The O's system is constantly maligned, even on this board, and yet they are really dominating this year, anchored by strong pitching. Tides are 20 games over .500, Baysox are just a couple games behind, both in first place. Who knows whether this will translate into individual players capable of performing at the MLB level, but there has to be some talent there.

It's possible to field a minor league team full of guys who are old for their league and do well, so you can't always go by record. For example, the Baysox average 25.4 years old, in a league where 24.6 is average.

It's possible to field a minor league team full of guys who are old for their league and do well, so you can't always go by record. For example, the Baysox average 25.4 years old, in a league where 24.6 is average.

I remember at the beginning of the 2000's, either under Don Buford Tony DeMacio, there were discussions about improving the minor league's overall W-L record because so many teams were below .500. I don't think it goes without saying the blight in terms of prospects at the time. To an extent I suppose you can argue they're related, but not always.

Archived