Has Buck lost control of the clubhouse (and his senses)?

webbrick2010

I don't necessarily have a "problem" with it. He can say whatever he chooses to. But there were 7 expletives in just this article. I can't recall another article in which this was the case with any Orioles player and, like it or not, it does communicate aspects of your personality to the fan base. It will not serve Manny well, imho to do this regularly with reporters. Adam Jones cares just as much but I cannot recall an instance in which he was quoted using multiple profanities to a reporter after a game. Players will earn different responses over their career (good and bad) from fans based largely on how they present themselves in public and in the media. You wonder if Buck or management talked with Manny about this outburst, or not.

Pretty sure Manny was just speaking as early-twenty-something PO'd guys are apt to do. I'm also pretty sure that Manny and his agent aren't the least bit concerned that his vocabulary will have any effect on what is really important - this is a business and Manny is a rare and valued commodity.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pretty sure Manny was just speaking as early-twenty-something PO'd guys are apt to do. I'm also pretty sure that Manny and his agent aren't the least bit concerned that his vocabulary will have any effect on what is really important - this is a business and Manny is a rare and valued commodity.

Yup.It is a business and people can make tons of money.You get payed to play.Not to be Miss Congenality. Look at ARod.

i personally think they looked sloppy on the last homestand. Throwing to the wrong base,throwing off the wrong foot,bad routes. Even the game they blew out Oakland,they could have called three errors on the Orioles. But they seem to never call errors.. That game was so sloppy especially for Oakland and zero errors on either team.

They might have been pressing/choking. I'm going to go with pressing. They know they have to try really hard and go all out. It's no coincidence that Machado, Jones and Schoop have all had defensive meltdowns in the last week. Their putting too much pressure on themselves because of thing they can't control. Like the SP.

Yup.It is a business and people can make tons of money.You get payed to play.Not to be Miss Congenality. Look at ARod.

Indeed. Look at ARod. Part of a superstar's career in any sport IS public perception of their persona. Fair or unfair, it is also very much part of their dollar equation in areas of endorsements, and the politics of being part of MLB as a corporate entity that very much is concerned about what players do OFF the field as well as on. I hope that Manny emulates Adam, Cal or Brooks in his public persona rather than seeing Arod as ANY type of career role model. ARod would be much more valuable as a sports superstar without his behavior than he is now. Same with Tiger Woods. They both lost BIG dollars due to their off the field persona and actions. But I really do believe that Manny would benefit much more by emulating those I mentioned for reasons that have nothing to do with money, but have everything to do with respect.

I was pretty happy in 2014. I think they would have won it all with Manny and CD on the playoff roster. But I think the morale and spirit of this team was crushed in the offseason by DD and his I wanta be in Toronto song and dance. They lost two key players and added absolutely nothing. I think a lot of us have been pretty negative ever since.

Of course, we were just a couple games out and IN the wild card a couple weeks ago. It's funny how we as baseball fans ride the roller coaster... and now it's at the bottom of the hill. They could make a run at something - but the shadows grow long.

I think there is some truth to what you're saying about the offseason. From what I recall, some of the players were pretty vocal about the total lack of aggression in terms of our roster-building. Some of that probably goes back to PA and his tight purse strings. Some of it probably ties into DD's Toronto flirtation. But I do think most of us would agree: This team was lacking something from the get-go. Plus, we never got that "surprise" contribution element. We didn't really have a guy like Pearce come out of nowhere and crush it this year. Parmalee and company were poised to become this year's Pearces... but it didn't happen. I think that's baseball, to some degree. On the other hand, you have to look at DD's strategy and say he gambled on Parm and company... and he lost.

There are only so many reclamation projects that wind up working out.

In terms of Buck's managing... Yeah, he makes mistakes. He's human. But he's dealing from a position of weakness in terms of this roster. He's juggling a LOT of balls in the air, with injuries, underperformers, etc. I'll take Buck over any young, hotshot manager any day. If he had a proper roster, he would be winning the division right now.

Yeah whatever, I can see that you have no emotional involvement with the team. Whatever happens happens.

Well I suppose you are the good fan that will still be patting DD & Buck and their succecesors on the back for all their fine effort for the next decade of losing.

Sorry I get upset and expect them to not get swept by a clearly (talent wise) inferior team because of a lack of fundamentals and a manager that set up his team to lose.

If you mention the reality of this team, some will label you "negative." Spreadsheets generally are emotionally removed from the ebb of flow of general fandom.

Keep on posting and keep on being upset. Lord knows I'm livid at the state of this team.

MSK

If you mention the reality of this team, some will label you "negative." Spreadsheets generally are emotionally removed from the ebb of flow of general fandom.

Keep on posting and keep on being upset. Lord knows I'm livid at the state of this team.

MSK

Just about everyone is upset with the current state of the team. It's worth noting that some posters only come out of the woodwork when things are going poorly, though. Your constant "us vs. them" is insufferable.

Just about everyone is upset with the current state of the team. It's worth noting that some posters only come out of the woodwork when things are going poorly, though. Your constant "us vs. them" is insufferable.

Let's examine the roots of this shall we?

During the dark times, some of the same posters still made excuses for the Orioles FO and whomever the GM was at the time. The apologies and excuses started during Flanny and Jim Duquette.

Then it became super intensified when MacPhail was here because many of us wanted action and he percolated.

Then from November 2014 - February 2015, many were screaming and pleading for the FO to do SOMETHING to replace the stars we lost and they DID NOTHING.

One didn't have to live on a steady diet of Fangraphs or PECOTA to see that AAAA talent couldn't possibly keep us in contention in 2015 but the SAME VOICES made it seem like we were being trolls or jerks or whatever. Anyone who dared to question DD or the FO was hit with snark, snark, snark, snark and snark.

Go ahead and look back over those threads. It's ALL THERE.

So now the inevitable collapse is here and everyone is suddenly "upset."

Right.

I pray that the Orioles turn this around and grab a wild card, but how a team that destroyed the AL East last year ends up middling the very next year because of non-movement in the offseason is just stupefying. I wonder what the excuses will be in November 2015?

Can't wait to read those.

MSK

Let's examine the roots of this shall we?

During the dark times, some of the same posters still made excuses for the Orioles FO and whomever the GM was at the time. The apologies and excuses started during Flanny and Jim Duquette.

Then it became super intensified when MacPhail was here because many of us wanted action and he percolated.

Then from November 2014 - February 2015, many were screaming and pleading for the FO to do SOMETHING to replace the stars we lost and they DID NOTHING.

One didn't have to live on a steady diet of Fangraphs or PECOTA to see that AAAA talent couldn't possibly keep us in contention in 2015 but the SAME VOICES made it seem like we were being trolls or jerks or whatever. Anyone who dared to question DD or the FO was hit with snark, snark, snark, snark and snark.

Right.

I pray that the Orioles turn this around and grab a wild card, but how a team that destroyed the AL East last year ends up middling the very next year because of non-movement in the offseason is just stupefying. I wonder what the excuses will be in November 2015?

MSK

Surprise, you left out the period of time between 2012 and 2014 where we were the best team in the AL East and you still whined every off-season and suddenly disappeared when things were going great. The whole point is that there are some posters who seemingly ENJOY complaining about the Orioles and don't say a peep when things are going well.

Gotta say, I'm not surprised you totally ignored the point of my post and responded with another BS essay about how stat nerds don't get baseball like you do.

Let's examine the roots of this, shall we?

Right.

MSK

Did anything happen between the dark times of 1998 through 2011 and November of 2014?

You examined "the roots", and conveniently omitted anything that might undermine your credibility on the matter.

Surprise, you left out the period of time between 2012 and 2014 where we were the best team in the AL East and you still whined every off-season and suddenly disappeared when things were going great. The whole point is that there are some posters who seemingly ENJOY complaining about the Orioles and don't say a peep when things are going well.

Gotta say, I'm not surprised you totally ignored the point of my post and responded with another BS essay about how stat nerds don't get baseball like you do.

1) I've never disappeared. It's hilarious that anyone would say that considering you can track one's postings.

2) My fandom is impossible to question. I've been a fan since the very early 1980s. Sorry, you don't get to use critique as a way to undermine someone's level of team love.

3) I loved the winning times. LOVED THEM. I stuck around for the darkness. That's why I came here to begin with. I was looking for other Orioles fans because they were getting hard to find for a while.

:confused:

Questioning my fandom is a weird thing to do.

MSK

Did anything happen between the dark times of 1998 through 2011 and November of 2014?

You examined "the roots", and conveniently omitted anything that might undermine your credibility on the matter.

Who created this team? DD directly. Angelos by default. MacPhail by extension.

I didn't make this mess.

MSK

1) I've never disappeared. It's hilarious that anyone would say that considering you can track one's postings.

2) My fandom is impossible to question. I've been a fan since the very early 1980s. Sorry, you don't get to use critique as a way to undermine someone's level of team love.

3) I loved the winning times. LOVED THEM. I stuck around for the darkness. That's why I came here to begin with. I was looking for other Orioles fans because they were getting hard to find for a while.

:confused:

Questioning my fandom is a weird thing to do.

MSK

Who questioned your fandom? Do you need to find a way to play the victim in every post you make? The number of negative posts you've made outweigh the positive by a large margin, which is confusing since we've had one of the best teams in baseball over the past four years. Easy to verify too, since I can "track your postings" as you mentioned. Besides, it isn't just about you. Believe it or not, I think there are a number of posters who are more guilty of this than you are.

Archived