Would you fire Duquette?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Would you fire Duquette?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
By moving him to Frank and Flanny's office? And bringing in someone above him?

One thing I doubt DD will ever have to worry about is knowing where he stands with PA.

PA is not a guy who leaves much room for interpretation where that is concerned. He is old school like that.

I think that partly depends on how Duquette is treated. If one bad year in four gets him booted, a year after being executive of the year and with the franchise's only playoff appearances this century, that probably would feed into the idea that Angelos is erratic and unpleasant to work for.

I guess I was responding more to the idea that Duquette has built up the org to the point where people would be very interested in stepping into the PoBO job. I don't believe the outside perception of ownership has necessarily changed for the better or the worse during Duquette's tenure (unless you think not allowing Duquette to talk to Toronto would be viewed unfavorably). I don't know that, after seeing the club in 2015, anyone would look at the impressive 3-year w/l record from 2012-2014 as evidence this is a nice situation to step into. If you tell the candidate he will have $40 million in payroll room and some latitude in how to spend that could go a long way to making up for the dearth of talent on the farm, perhaps.

All, of course, if ownership isn't scaring off otherwise interested talent.

Yes, even if some big city elitists say otherwise.

I think 2015 has erased a lot of the positive vibe around the talent level of the org. I think those that had concerns with ownership would likely have the same concerns. I could be wrong on both counts, certainly.

Most of this discussion assumes that DD actually has the freedom to make any move he wants within a given budget or that he had the freedom to do a total rebuild. All we know about the Angelos' MO suggests that is very unlikely. The Orioles have tried to "win now" on an average or slightly above average budget and avoided big rebuilds for years and years. Behaving otherwise has been the rarity under Angelos since about 1999. DD got lucky on cheap signings last year and not this year and the starting pitching dramatically under performed this year. Anyway, the organization seems to operate about the same as it did under most GM's in the last 15 years or so. Folks are blaming DD and he did have a bad year in many ways, but last offseason wasn't fundamentally different than the average Oriole offseason. The minor league system has been below average for pretty much Angelos' entire reign. DD ain't the big problem.

I think 2015 has erased a lot of the positive vibe around the talent level of the org. I think those that had concerns with ownership would likely have the same concerns. I could be wrong on both counts, certainly.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="und" dir="ltr"><a href="http://t.co/Y8KgGkD5wy">pic.twitter.com/Y8KgGkD5wy</a></p>— Cassandra Fairbanks (@CassandraRules) <a href="

">September 7, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Pipe in death metal.

Just pipe in a continuous loop of Nick Markakis and Nelson Cruz sound-alikes reading the season stats of all his signings this offseason on a continuous loop :)

Between loops intersperse each of the starting pitcher not named Chen reading their second half stat lines.

Last but not least have Pete give him a Jake Arrieta bobble head that he has to treat like a human child for the whole offseason.

Forgiveness must be earned.

Just pipe in a continuous loop of Nick Markakis and Nelson Cruz sound-alikes reading the season stats of all his signings this offseason on a continuous loop :)

Between loops intersperse each of the starting pitcher not named Chen reading their second half stat lines.

Last but not least have Pete give him a Jake Arrieta bobble head that he has to treat like a human child for the whole offseason.

Forgiveness must be earned.

Or just hire Nelson to say, "Yeah, definitely" over and over. He's all about the money.

Or just hire Nelson to say, "Yeah, definitely" over and over. He's all about the money.

That would work to....

Or perhaps some clips of Nick talking about his deep love of Baltimore. They are all about the money, each and every one of them.

Archived