Three Orioles are hit and nothing happens?

Ohfan67

I missed the game today and am looking at the box score. It looks like three Orioles were hit including Davis and Machado and no Royals were hit? I have to be mistaken, right? They didn't hit Davis and others without retaliation? If so, then shame on Buck. He can't let the best Oriole hitters get abused. Hopefully I missed something and am incorrect.

I missed the game today and am looking at the box score. It looks like three Orioles were hit including Davis and Machado and no Royals were hit? I have to be mistaken, right? They didn't hit Davis and others without retaliation? If so, then shame on Buck. He can't let the best Oriole hitters get abused. Hopefully I missed something and am incorrect.

Davis got hit on a curveball that hit his back foot. I don't know about the others.

Davis got hit on a curveball that hit his back foot. I don't know about the others.

I forget the details with Manny. Jones was a bit suspicious at that point. It was a breaking ball that "got away" into the square of his back. In isolation it was no big deal, but...

I think at that point the O's were just so bemused by what idiots KC are that they didn't want to expend any energy thinking about it.

O's are true professionals. Good for them for showing restraint and taking the high road. I do think it is inexcusable that nobody got ejected. The league should have automatic warnings after the first one for each team and then automatic ejections thereafter. Proving intent is always an arbitrary judgment call. Just shut it down after one incident.

TheO's are true professionals. Good for them for showing restraint and taking the high road. I do think it is inexcusable that nobody got ejected. The league should have automatic warnings after the first one for each team and then automatic ejections thereafter. Proving intent is always an arbitrary judgment call. Just shut it down after one incident.

I like this post a lot.

I have the utmost respect for Sandy Koufax and Walter Johnson, who never intentionally threw at a batter under any circumstances (actually, Johnson admitted to throwing at a batter ONE TIME in his entire career. He threw at "Home Run" Baker, because Baker intentionally spiked his teammate.)

Considering that Johnson pitched for 21 years, and pitched almost 6,000 innings in his career, I will give him a mulligan for losing his cool ONE TIME when an opponent spiked one of his teammates. ;)

Ironically, Johnson hit more batters than any pitcher in the history of the game because opposing batters knew this about him, and would always significantly crowd the plate.

Johnson was actually afraid that he would maim or even kill a batter if he hit him. One time, Eddie Collins got hit in the back with one of Johnson's pitches, and was writhing in pain at home plate. Johnson was horrified, as he immediately sprinted to Collins' side to see if he was OK. Collins eventually got up very slowly, and groggily limped down to first base. On the very next pitch, Collins took off sprinting for second base, stealing it easily on the unnerved and very shaken Johnson. The little bugger (Collins) was faking the entire time, and miraculously recovered in less than a minute to steal a base.

O's are true professionals. Good for them for showing restraint and taking the high road. I do think it is inexcusable that nobody got ejected. The league should have automatic warnings after the first one for each team and then automatic ejections thereafter. Proving intent is always an arbitrary judgment call. Just shut it down after one incident.
Am I honestly supposed to believe that the Royals just accidentally hit our 3 best hitters 4 times over the last 2 games? Because, I do not. If I were on the mound tomorrow, Moustakas would be getting drilled.

Buck never forgets -- we know that. It might not be this season you see retaliation.

Davis and machado were both hit on curveballs. I'd also venture to guess that Ventura didn't mean to hit jones in that situation and his reaction seemed like he was upset with himself when he hit him. It also got him yanked from the game.

My point is, whether it is intentional is irrelevant. The result is the same as if it was. Very dangerous to the hitters whether it is intentional or not. Give them a warning if it happens once, then if it happens again they are done. Take the judgment out of it.

We looked strong and plucky for one game. Now we again look like chumps. I do not care that they hit all of our best players with breaking balls in a blow out game. We are chumps. They hit Davis, Jones, and Machado in one game, after a mini bean ball war in game one. And we're calling it coincidence?

I'm sorry guys, but that is really, really soft. Time to at least hold some people accountable.

Can't wait for the reactionary, "what are we going to do, be savages and start a bean ball war?" indigation that will follow. It's time to stand up for ourselves. If that means up and in to a Lorenzo Cain or a Alex Gordon, so be it. They started it by throwing at CD last night when they couldn't muster an out.

Bracing for impact...

Showalter doesn't believe any of the 3 HBP were intentional.

[/i]Today brought three more hit batters, but Showalter didn't think any of them were intentional.

"Two breaking balls and trying to go away and scuttled it back inside," Showalter said. "No one likes to see that, but you've got to take it. Unlike some teams who you run into, you take it as it really is and as reality is and don't get involved in all the drama people want to put into something that's not there."[/i]

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/09/wrapping-up-a-14-6-loss.html

I forget the details with Manny. Jones was a bit suspicious at that point. It was a breaking ball that "got away" into the square of his back. In isolation it was no big deal, but...

I think at that point the O's were just so bemused by what idiots KC are that they didn't want to expend any energy thinking about it.

Manny got hit with runners on in a close game by a fastball that just got away. Manny made a big theatrical deal over it but it seemed pretty clear it was not intentional. Maybe it was and the Royals no longer care about winning games.

Archived