Stop drafting pitchers in the first round

Ori-Al

I guess I'm arguing with an expert. Tarpley was signed out of a CC. He went to SC for one year and then transferred to a CC. Was drafted at age 20. Happens a fair amount of time. Wasn't he a good one, drafted in the 3rd round?

Tarpley was good. You proved your point.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess if they get drafted at age 19 and after their first year they are closer to HS players. If they get drafted at age 20, then they are closer to college juniors. You are just being you, which is very silly. They are neither HS players or college juniors. They are CC college players. You felt the need to say they are the same as HS players. Now, it's "they are closer to HS players than college". More silliness, please!

Ok. You are right. Have your say. I just felt that the 13 that were cited were likely to be of an age that they could have been HS. Without bothering to do the research. Which neither of us did.

The even more radical idea would be to ditch "starting pitchers" altogether. Just go with a bunch of guys who pitch 2-3 innings at a time. Maybe it is just subjective but it seems to me that relievers have a better track record of avoiding TJ.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/148379-Crazy-Idea-All-Relievers

1. No major league contracts to draft choices. Period.

2. No pitchers drafted under the age of 19. Why? Because if the O's sign a 17 or 18 year old "can't miss" pitcher and everything works perfectly, and they arrive at the major league level at 20 or 21, it still takes them two years to get acclimated and they're gone as free agents at age 27 (because the Orioles can't afford to re-sign them) and their best years are to come. Better to sign pitchers who are a little older, are more mature when they reach the big leagues, and who will be Orioles in their year 28-29 seasons.

No research needed. It's just logic. You argued that CC players are only 6-8 months older than HS players. That's silly. Who do you think goes to CC? A lot of HS players. Whatever age you are in June of your senior season, you will be one year older the next June, if you went to CC or not. Where do you come up with this stuff?

Right. A full year. Right. My bad. I was kinda thinking of the guys who are good as a HS Senior that wait to sign until the last minute. Or end up going to cc because they did not. And then the next year they sign right away because they get what they want. Chopping off a few months form the year. But of course your logic is the solid one here.

Let's use logic. HS kids are 17-19 when the leave HS. If they go to CC, they go for 1 or 2 years. Hence they are 1 or 2 years older than when they were in HS. So, no CC players are not the same as HS players. They are 1 or 2 years older than they were in HS.
One year. One year. The good ones. One year.

Neither of you are accounting for the common case of a D-I player opting to transfer to a JuCo so he doesn't have to sit out a year. Orgs generally group JuCo as a separate category because the data screws with the rest of the college stuff.

Neither of you are accounting for the common case of a D-I player opting to transfer to a JuCo so he doesn't have to sit out a year. Orgs generally group JuCo as a separate category because the data screws with the rest of the college stuff.

I had not though of that. So, what DOES count as community college?

Let's use logic. HS kids are 17-19 when the leave HS. If they go to CC, they go for 1 or 2 years. Hence they are 1 or 2 years older than when they were in HS. So, no CC players are not the same as HS players. They are 1 or 2 years older than they were in HS.
One year. One year. The good ones. One year.
I had not though of that. So, what DOES could as community college?

It should just be its own weird little category. Like Levi's three-legged jeans.

Flat out refusing to draft a pitcher is a bad idea. However, if you have two talents that are equal, one being a bat and one being a pitcher, then the bat should be the obvious choice. The bat carries substantially less injury risk and for the O's organization carries significantly less skill maturation risk. Now if there's a pitcher out there whose skills exceed the next best available bat by enough, then you take the pitcher. Remember that risk increases as we go from college bat,high school pitcher,high school bat, college pitcher. It's in rounds 2-10 where you can splurge on pitchers as they slide.

Archived