Stop drafting pitchers in the first round

Ori-Al

Matusz has been worth about .5 WAR per year during his career. You think that's a decent career for a 4th overall pick? I guess I have higher standards.

Out of all the Orioles first round draft picks, Matusz has been by far the most valuable pitcher with 3.2 career WAR so far. Mike Fontenot has a higher career WAR than Brian Matusz.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My issue isn't with the drafting. It's with whom they draft. How about we stop drafting high school pitchers? Too big of a risk. Unpolished. Too long for impact.

By my count the top 30 pitchers in rWAR since 1990 came from:

College or Community College: 13

High School: 12

Amateur Free Agents: 5

I wouldn't pass on that kind of quality as a matter of policy or philosophy.

Meaning what?

Meaning they have been one of the worst teams in all of baseball for so very long that they acquired multiple assets which they they kept or traded for more assets. They were the most popular team in the second or third best market in baseball all the while with a national presence due to nationwide television. For a very long time. The have lots of money and spent well internationally. They fleeced the As and hired arguably the top Executives and field management available. And now, finally, they might make the playoffs. That's what he means.

By my count the top 30 pitchers in rWAR since 1990 came from:

College or Community College: 13

High School: 12

Amateur Free Agents: 5

I wouldn't pass on that kind of quality as a matter of policy or philosophy.

Community college is really high school.

Weams, you are incorrectly arguing against your own point. College juniors are 21 when they leave college. HS players are usually 18. CC players should be 19-20 when they are drafted. As always, there are exceptions.

I think of those 13 CC players most were under 19. My belief. I did no research.

Weams, you are incorrectly arguing against your own point. College juniors are 21 when they leave college. HS players are usually 18. CC players should be 19-20 when they are drafted. As always, there are exceptions.

I had a question mark. Meaning I said that the cc guys were not college juniors. They were essential high school kids at age 19 or less. I assume my guestion mark did not make that clear and as always, I am sorry that I was not more expressive in my actual point.

Let's use logic. HS kids are 17-19 when the leave HS. If they go to CC, they go for 1 or 2 years. Hence they are 1 or 2 years older than when they were in HS. So, no CC players are not the same as HS players. They are 1 or 2 years older than they were in HS.

One year. One year. The good ones. One year.

Let's use logic. HS kids are 17-19 when the leave HS. If they go to CC, they go for 1 or 2 years. Hence they are 1 or 2 years older than when they were in HS. So, no CC players are not the same as HS players. They are 1 or 2 years older than they were in HS.

Grey Fenter was 19 this year.

And Manny Machado was 17 when he was drafted out of HS? I'm sure I can find some CC players who were 21. What's your point?

CC players are closer to high schoolers than they are to College draftees. They are college in name and six to eight months only.

Archived